55. traitor

WARNING: Mentions and attempts of rape and sexual assault, as well as assault and killing, is featured in this chapter

WARNING: Mentions and attempts of rape and sexual assault, as well as assault and killing, is featured in this chapter. In case that's something you do not want to read, a recap of the chapter without those details will be featured at the end of the chapter. Happy reading.

In the 2 minutes I've been waiting to run to the other side of the hallway I've heard 6 gunshots. Seeing as the guards at the bottom of the stairs haven't moved a muscle, I'd guess it's the Bradshaw's killing more Coveney's. The thought makes my heart clench. How many people will have to die tonight? Other than the two specific people, of course, no names needed.

I glance at the clock again. Time just keeps passing. I won't get closer to Nico by staying here in the dining room. It's not like he'll magically wander into the room in a minute or anything. I'll have to look for him myself. So with a deep breath, I collect my nerves, getting ready to sprint to the other side of the room. I quickly count down to three, only to get interrupted when a 7th gunshot rings through the hallway. Enough.

I quickly push the door open and sprint to the other side of the hallway, into another room. From what I could see in my peripherals, the guards weren't facing me anymore, but I'm not sure. Maybe they didn't see me. I gather my breath and hurry over to the connecting door in the room, crouching next to the cabinet placed next to it. In case the guards peek in they won't be able to see me... maybe if they look at my feet under the cabinet, but why would they do that. My hands hold onto the gun tightly, scared I'll drop it and hurt myself in the process. Knowing myself, that isn't very unlikely.

The sound of voices come through the door next to me, making my heart race in speed. They're speaking Italian again, both of them laughing. I focus on the sound surrounding it. It almost sounds like classical music. I have no idea what's in the room. Maybe a bar...?

I stand up. Seeing as the guards haven't entered the room yet, I think they didn't notice me. Lucky me. I put my ear against the door, listening in. The two voices I heard are now faint, basically gone. Instead, I hear a door close, only faint music left. Maybe the room is empty now... would it be safe to go there? Probably not... but what if? I can't stay here forever. They'll find me eventually. Fuck it.

I push the door open, stepping into the small drawing-room, filled by tobacco smoke. I look around the room, classical music filling my ears. When my eyes land on the old man sitting in the chair in the corner of the room, my heart stops. His eyes are closed, a cigar placed in between his dry old lips. I gulp, taking small steps backward in hope of exiting the room without him noticing. When my back hits the door with a thud, I realize it's a pull door the other way... NICO WHAT WERE YOU THINKING.

The old man's eyes fly open, staring at me in shock. Before I know it he's reaching for the gun on the table. But before he can move, my hands are lifted. The trigger is pushed, and a bullet penetrates the chest of the man in the chair. My hands shake as my ears ring. My mouth hangs agape in shock, my mouth feeling dry. I just killed a man... I just-