11

People are notorious for being unpredictable, Kelsey. Growing up, you're taught to question everyone, criminals walk among everyday, hidden in plain sight but you're smart, you know this so can I just ask ? Why on earth is your back door left unlocked when there is nobody home. I'm presuming Honey is the culprit of this, she's so delusional she'd see an intruder as her potential future husband. I know, you'd see it as a horrible thing to say but there's something about her Kelsey, it's not sitting right with me.

It's a strange and new experience walking into an empty house, no people, no lights but at the same time it was almost too easy to get in. It's almost as if you were expecting me to just wander in. My intention is to but quick, I won't stay or pry for too long and you'll never know I was here, everything will be back where it was found. It's common knowledge that every house has a smell, I can't stand most of them but yours, for a house of four people smelt solely like you: a strawberry and vanilla mix. I knew exactly where your room was, the layout of your house was just something I knew by now. I opened the door, this time was different, the other two times I've been in there, the curtains were drawn and the lights were off. You wanted to be alone and you were winding down, completely understandable my love, you lead a busy lift but now, now I could it in all of its entirety, in all of its glory.

One whole wall was taken up by pictures, it was full of memories and I was able to live them while looking at three. I could see you graduating high school and college, you looked so proud of yourself, as you should be, you worked your ass off to get to where you are today. Max Johnsons face haunted me the whole time I was observing, I knew it was him who put all of those photos there but his image wasn't any less chilling. You had to be surrounded by people, there wasn't one photo of you alone. I found myself getting distracted so knew I had to work quickly. Down the stairs, into the kitchen and removed the big brown clock off the wall. Mission one completed. It's almost too easy to attach cameras to things these days Kelsey and let me just say, next day delivery is a beautiful thing. I put the clock back and made my way upstairs. One went in Honeys stuffed camel on her shelf, one went on Eddi's alarm clock and finally, one went on yours. To set the record straight, I didn't enjoy sneaking into your house to put up hidden cameras but I need to do it to keep you safe. I can only see your living room, you hardly spend any time there. How do I ensure your safety if I can't see you ?

The photo wall, I was back admiring it, there were so many pictures a glance would never do it justice. I had observed almost every photo in detail until i checked the time. 4pm. Fuck. Somebody would definitely be home by now but there was a photo of you, Len and Nona all enjoying drinks on a beach that just drew me in until I heard a shriek. "You scared me half to death" Nona said with her hand to her heart, why was she here ? "Nona ?" I questioned, I couldn't come across as the suspicious one here. "You're dressed like a stalker and I'm not questioning you. Let's just forget we saw each-other here. I was worried for Kelsey, I thought Max had done something. She won't answer her phone" she began as I shook my head. "Max went missing the day before the party" I said honestly, I couldn't know too much as she smiled. Why was she smiling ? "A relief if you ask me. I haven't seen anyone in days. Let's get out of here, Eddi could be anywhere" she whispered so I nodded, grabbed my now empty bag and followed her out.

I led the way, I seemed to know this house better than her. We were dead silent until I, and only I heard a click that sounds identical to a gin being loaded but I knew there was nobody home, I was paranoid and Nona hadn't said anything. I was feeling too uneasy and I could feel this mornings breakfast rising in my throat but I kept going. It was all in my head. There was nobody there. Then, there was something poking me in the chest, pushing me back until I slammed against the wall. Fuck. I've been caught.

Instantly, my hat was knocked off and I was forced to look up to see Eddi standing there. Of course she was home, the musician who made her own hours, holding a gun. Did you know there was a gun in your house ? I know you wouldn't approve of this, you have a child part-time living here. What if he found it ? I don't even want to imagine the consequences. "Joe ?" she spat, like my name was something disgusting. "Eddi" I said over-enthusiastically, like I was supposed to be here and had as much of a right as she did. I was still backed into the corner with the only thing separating us being her pistol. She nodded her head at Nona which told the woman to go, once the door closed behind her, the pistol was dug further into my chest. "I'll ask you once, why the fuck are you sneaking around my house ?" she asked, her voice was raised, she was trying to be intimidating.

"Honey didn't tell you ?" I asked, like she was the one in the wrong. I had to think quick Kelsey, I had to think of a logical reason as to why I was in your home. "Honey hates you" she said unamused, she liked watching me crack under pressure, that's why I couldn't let it happen. All of a sudden, I needed to throw up, this could end in one of three ways. One, she'd shoot me, I'd be dead, no way to see you but you never know why I was here. Two, call the cops, I'd serve a sentence for breaking an entering, I'd bullshit a story, you'd visit me, happy ending. Or three, she'd call you and say exactly what happened. "I came home from work and found Joe coming down the stairs with nobody home", I'd rather anything hit the third one. "I know, look, sorry, this is embarrassing but it's nothing to do with Honey" I said through a sigh as she nodded, she was interested now. "Right, let's see what the cops have to say" she began but I stopped her.

"I was passing" I shouted, I shouted because I've never felt fear like this before. She stared through me, expecting an answer. She didn't believe me, not one word. "What's in the bag" she asked with an eyebrow raised, she kicked it, there was nothing in it, I'd installed all of the cameras. "Whys it's empty ?" she then asked, I had to think quick, there was no way you could find out about this especially with your current state. "This is a little embarrassing but Mooney's donates some books to some thrift stores every month, I was coming back from dropping them off and needed to use the bathroom. Honey said as the party she never locks the back door and I knew Kelsey wouldn't mind. It was supposed to be in and out" I said, taking a breath of relief, I had her. "What charity ?" she questioned. Fuck. "Salvation Army, they sell a lot of books. An already read book tells a story" I bullshitted through a nod, she took a step back and allowed me to pick up my bag. I was just turning the doorknob when she called me back. "I wouldn't keep chasing Kelsey. As far as we know Max is gone but she knows his usual runaway spots. She loves him too much for her own good, too much to notice anybody else. I wouldn't be surprised if she wasn't packing a bag for herself and Cody right now to follow him. Just be smart, okay ?" she had an icy tone to her voice but she was half smiling at me. It was as if she felt bad for me. She had absolutely no reason to. I know what we have and what I was doing.

Now my dear Kelsey, to fix my mess, the mess that was your boyfriend, Max. He'd been lying cold in the basement if Mooneys for twenty-four hours, dead. It was just a matter of disposing of him. I started off easy, I wrapped him in trash bags. He worked out everyday of his adult life, he was strong, this meant he was heavy and an inconvenience to carry out of the store in the dark. I put him in my car and I drove, I didn't have a destination planed but I ended up in the woods. Again, I was falling into old ways, I did the exact same thing with Benji but just had to get rid of him Kelsey. I lit a fire and that was it. He was gone. Max Johnson couldn't affect our relationship, you or Cody anymore.