Chapter 34 - The Wedding

Charlotte must have given all her employees the day off because they were all dressed well and had their families with them. Charlotte's carriage pulled in last with Charlotte, Patience, Alice, and Martha.

Patience looked as nervous as a cat, especially when she saw Billy standing outside the barn in his new suit. Charlotte said, "See you inside, my dear, you look radiant!" Martha would be the first in followed by Alice and finally, Patience, escorted by her brother Billy.

Billy told Patience she looked beautiful, and their father would have been so proud of her. Patience hugged Billy. Billy told her that their mother would have been so proud of the woman she had become, and Patience teared up at the mention of her mother.

Billy said, "And mother would have been a nervous wreck today!" Patience nodded in agreement as tears rolled down her cheeks. Billy offered his sister his handkerchief, then kissed her cheek and lowered the veil over her face. Billy asked, "You ready?" Patience nodded, and they walked into the barn arm in arm.

One of Bessie's neighbors, Ellie, had agreed to play piano for the ceremony if they could get her piano over to Bessie's barn. It took six men to get the piano in the wagon, to Bessie's and then into the barn, but they got it there in one piece. Ellie was already playing as Patience appeared in the doorway. Patience, delighted with the music, smiled at Ellie, and whispered, "Thank you."

Patience's eyes found Rud. He looked very handsome in the new suit and his fancy vest. Billy felt his sister tremble as he led Patience towards the makeshift altar. Patience saw Charlotte and Bessie sitting on the bride's side arm-in-arm. The plan had been one would sit on the bride's side and the other on the groom's, but like most plans, they changed the minute Charlotte walked in.

When they reached the altar, Billy turned to Patience, whispered something in her ear, kissed her on the cheek again, and took his place as Rud's best man. Patience took the final two steps to stand next to Rud. She glanced at Martha and Alice, then to Bessie and Charlotte before turning towards Rud.

The judge stepped forward and started to speak. Patience could not help herself, she kissed a surprised Rud right on the lips. It happened so fast Rud did not have the chance to kiss her back. There was a lot of snickering from the crowd, then Patience said, "Okay, now you can start."

Rud smiled as the room burst out in laughter. The Judge, experienced with having to gain control over an unruly courtroom, used his Judge's voice and said, "Settle down now, everyone. Young lady, I may be rusty on the ceremony, but I believe that part comes at the end. Don't you want me to say the words first?"

Patience should have been embarrassed but wasn't. Patience replied, "I do, uh, I mean yes, please go ahead." Even the ordinarily uncompromising Judge laughed and looked at Rud. Rud smiled, looked at Patience, and said, "Better hurry, Judge. There might be another kiss coming any second."

The words were said, and the vows made, then came the proper kiss as man and wife. When the Judge announced them as "Mr. and Mrs. Rudolph and Patience Morrow," everyone cheered. Billy said, "About time," as he kissed his sister on the cheek for the third time today.

Alice joined Billy as everyone came up to congratulate the newlyweds. Patience kept looking at the gold band on her finger, she was so proud of what Rud and Billy had made for her. Soon everyone made their way out to where the tables were set up.

Patience was again the center of attention. Rud sat back and watched his brand new wife enjoy the moment. Rud thanked Bessie and Charlotte for such a wonderful day. Billy and Ollie brought in the cooked pig, and some of the ladies who worked for Charlotte served the guests. It was a perfect day.

Soon the time came for Rud and Patience to head home so they could spend their first night as man and wife. Rud had not been back to the valley since the fight and was anxious to get home.

Rud and Patience drove the old two-wheeled-cart with Billy and Alice riding double on one of the horses Charlotte had given them. They took it slow and left in plenty of time to get home before dark. Billy and Alice would spend a few nights in the hideout to make sure Rud and Patience had their time alone, but still be close if needed.

Rud, still wearing his suit and Patience still wearing her wedding dress waved to the guests as they drove the cart away from Bessie's towards home. They passed quite a few travelers on the road. The men would usually remove their hat, and some would even stop and stand as Rud and Patience passed. The women would shout to Patience how lovely she looked and wish her all the happiness. The old Rud would not have acknowledged them, but he was not that man anymore. The man Rud was now smiled and told them thank you.

After helping Rud into the cabin, Patience asked Rud if she could have a few minutes alone to listen to the wind in the trees. Rud told her to take her time. Patience would often walk near the edge of the forest and sit on a stump to listen to the wind as it made its way through the pines. Rud knew she was happy, she loved him deeply and could not wait to begin their life together, but she needed a few minutes for herself.

Rud often thought she talked to her mother while sitting on the stump. Today was her wedding day, so to Rud, it seemed like a good time for a conversation with her mom. Maybe she wanted her parent's spirits to see her in her wedding dress. Rud felt if her parent's spirits existed, they would surely have been in the barn today, and their hearts would have swelled with pride seeing the man their son had become give away their beautiful and amazing daughter.

As Alice helped Rud get settled, Billy collected the things he and Alice would need for a couple of nights in the hideout. Patience sat on the stump listening to the wind and was lost in her thoughts. She was excited, nervous, and a little scared of what was to come when she and Rud spent their first night together as husband and wife. She had wanted this so much, and now it was happening. She wished her mother was here so she could talk to her about tonight. Patience had tried to speak with Bessie, but it just wasn't the same.

Patience heard Alice call and replied, "Over here, Alice." Alice came into view and asked Patience if she was alright. Patience replied, yes, she was just nervous about tonight. Alice, who had only had a vague idea of what this first night included, just smiled and said, "Tonight and tomorrow will be the happiest of your life so far."

Patience thought Alice was saying what she thought would make her feel better, but even so, Alice had a knowing way of saying things that put you at ease. Patience walked with Alice back to the cabin.

Alice was excited about spending the night in the hideout. Billy had told Alice how much he had enjoyed spending nights in the hideout last summer. He said you could see most of the valley from there, and the stars looked brighter the higher up you go. Alice enjoyed life to its fullest, and everything was an adventure to her. Patience envied Alice's optimism and appetite for life.

Patience asked Alice, "You two are just sleeping, right?" Alice rolled her eyes, dropped her shoulders, and replied, "For the hundredth time, yes, we only sleep next to each other. Why does everybody keep asking me that?" Patience said it was because they cared about her and Billy. Alice responded, "I keep telling everybody Billy and I won't be married until we are seventeen. We kiss sometimes, but that is all, and there is nothing wrong with kissing." Patience responded, "Okay."

Once back at the cabin, Billy wrapped his arms around Patience and gave her a big hug. Billy nodded to Rud, who said, "Take care of yourselves." Billy said to look for the signal in about ten minutes, then he led Alice by the hand out of the cabin and up to the hideout.

Patience helped Rud to bed then cleaned up a little around the cabin, trying not to look directly at Rud. She was so very nervous. Patience gave the doves about ten minutes, then walked outside the cabin and looked towards the hideout for the signal. The hideout was well hidden and impossible to see from the valley floor.

A candle near the ledge was used as a signal to let those in the cabin know they had arrived safely. Patience held up her candle to acknowledge she had seen the signal, then moistened her fingers and extinguished the flame. The candle at the hideout went out as well.