Chapter 39 - A New Barn

Alice had helped Billy as well. He had seen his father murdered and his mother dragged away to her death. Then he was forced to kneel on the same spot where his father had just been murdered and felt a pistol pressed to the back of his head. If Rud had not interceded, Billy would have been killed just like his father.

That Patience also survived and having Rud as a stand-in father figure helped Billy in dealing with the tragedy. But Alice gave Billy purpose and, if Alice's predictions came true, a future together. Alice depended on and looked up to Billy, making him want to succeed in everything he did. Alice by his side gave Billy the confidence to follow his dreams. Billy had no time to dwell on the past, Alice was his future.

Bessie was thankful they had found each other but did worry though if Billy forced Alice to do things before she was ready, Alice's emotional problems might resurface, possibly worse than before. When Bessie expressed this concern, Alice did not say anything right away, she looked as though she was lost in her thoughts. After she thought it through, Alice told Bessie she understood and would not allow that to happen.

Then Alice asked Bessie, "But what if I am ready?" Knowing Alice, Bessie thought she should have been prepared for that response. Bessie told Alice if they did things before they were both ready, it could damage their relationship and their future together. That was something Alice could understand.

Bessie didn't care anymore about them crossing that line as long as Alice was ready. Bessie could tell they were both happy and truly loved each other. She hoped they wouldn't, but the older she became, the less she believed in the "rules" she had adhered to most of her life.

With age came two realizations. First, life is too short, and second, the time you get with those you love is even shorter. Bessie thought of her husband Robert, she would have given anything for just a little more time with him.

* * * * *

With the new cabin complete, Rud and Billy turned their attention to a new barn. They decided to build one large barn on a flat spot between the cabins rather than two small barns. Rud knew Billy was tired of the tiny shed they kept the mule and horses in. Billy wanted something larger and more comfortable to move around in.

Billy had acquired a small two-man sawmill, and the new barn would be the first structure built with boards they had sawed themselves. Abandoned homesteads not stripped of all the good boards were becoming rare and Billy saw this as a potential business opportunity. He hoped to one day open a commercial sawmill.

With this small sawmill, they could only make enough boards to meet their needs and a few extras, but it was a start. It was early spring in the valley, and even with all their other chores Billy and Rud soon had all the beams and lumber required for the barn cut and stacked.

With so few social gatherings in the wilderness, barn raisings were a popular activity. Charlotte loved barn raisings and convinced Rud and Billy that hosting one was a great way to get the barn built quickly. Rud was concerned about having people he did not know or trust come in their valley, but relented. Old habits die hard, and Rud still had a problem trusting people he did not know.

Charlotte helped spread the word, and when the day came to build the barn Rud, Patience, Billy, and Alice welcomed about fifty people into the valley. Many of the men had built barns before, so Rud and Billy provided the specifications then let the timber-frame craftsmen among the group give the orders. Rud and Billy paid close attention and learned as much from the craftsmen as they could.

It was a typical barn raising with the men and older boys building the barn while the women visited, prepared the meals, and entertained the younger children. Alice was careful to call their cabin "Billy's" cabin. She did say once they were married, it will be her cabin too but didn't say anything about her living there with Billy now.

Several women asked Alice if there were more cooking utensils. Without thinking, Alice told the women exactly where in Billy's cabin, the extras were stored. When she was asked how she knew where everything was, Alice, thinking fast, responded that she and Patience had outfitted Billy's cabin in the first place and did all the cleaning.

With a smirk, Alice stated, "You think Billy could stock, organize and keep a cabin clean and tidy? If we left it to him, he would be sleeping on a plank and cooking in his coffee cup." The women all laughed and nodded in agreement. Patience fought the urge to burst out laughing as she listened to the normally uncompromising Alice deflect these questions. Bessie, Charlotte, and Martha also looked on with great amusement but kept the secret.

Alice knew none of the women or men would approve of her and Billy sharing a cabin, much less the same bed. Alice didn't care what others thought of her, but she very much cared what people thought of Billy. Alice understood how people viewed Billy could impact their future. She was going to stay with Billy no matter what, but the less others knew, the better.

Rud would look for Patience throughout the day, and he could see she was enjoying meeting and speaking with all the new people. The social skills she had developed growing up the daughter of a rich father served her well, and Rud could tell Patience was well-liked by the other women.

Rud noticed Patience seemed to be a favorite with the children too, as everywhere she went, she was surrounded by them. At one point Rud noticed Patience smiling at him while holding a baby. Some of the men noticed too and began teasing Rud, saying it would not be long before Patience would want a baby of her own. Rud ignored the teasing and smiled back at Patience.

Rud was meeting many of his neighbors for the first time. Rud learned his closest neighbor was Mr. Miller, who lived about two miles away by road. Straight through the mountains though, the Miller farm was less than a mile.

A few of the men asked about the Mad Hermit, which Rud laughed-off as rumors. He could truthfully say in all the time he lived in the valley he had never met a hermit, mad or not. Rud suspected the men were relieved to hear that nightmare was not true. Mr. Miller seemed amused at Rud's response, and Rud wondered if Mr. Miller knew the truth.

By the end of the day, the barn's roof and walls were complete. Everyone seemed very pleased with what they had accomplished, especially Rud and Billy. There was still work to be completed on the inside, but they now had a great big barn.

Many of the men asked where Billy had acquired all the wood beams and boards. In response, Billy demonstrated his small sawmill and even gave some of the men enough boards to complete projects they had in the works.

Billy told them of his plans to operate a commercial sawmill someday, and all were enthusiastic about the prospect. Some indicated they had land they needed for crops or pasture, and Billy could have the timber if he would clear it for them. The businessman in Billy was in his element!

That night as Rud, Patience, Billy, and Alice sat on the half-log bench looking at the stars, Rud had to confess he had enjoyed the day and was continually surprised at the friendship others in the area would offer. He had lived for seven years afraid of everyone and everything, and now was beginning to think those were wasted years. The more Rud engaged others, the lower his guard fell, and at this moment, Rud was okay with that.