Chapter 40

The sky was darkened with clouds and rain when I woke up to go shopping with Gemma, but I didn’t care. As long as we wouldn’t be at an outdoor mall, chances were, the rain wouldn’t really affect me. With more grogginess than I thought possible, I pulled on my jeans and slipped on a simple T-shirt and cardigan. My phone buzzed with Gemma telling me that she would be there in fifteen minutes, which caused me to start racing around the apartment to finish eating and getting ready.

“Where you off to so early in the morning?” Mom asked as I began to head out the door.

“Gemma’s taking me out shopping for the holiday party on Saturday.”

“That’s so sweet of her!” I’m pretty sure Mom always wanted me to have a sister, just like I did, so Gemma doing this was the kind of thing she expected if I did have one.

“It is.” I smiled at the thought. “But she’s waiting outside, so I will see you later. Bye Mom!” Rushing out the door, I spotted Gemma in, I’m guessing, her car. She waved to assure me that it was her and she flashed a smile my way as I settled into the passenger seat.

“Good morning Camille, my name is Gemma White and I will be your personal shopper, chauffeur, and bank for the day. So just sit back, relax, and leave the work to me.” I started laughing.

“Wow, I feel so special!” I remarked. Gemma merely smiled again as she started driving.

Three hours later and we were so far unsuccessful in dress hunting. We did, however, find the best sushi place either of us have ever been to. All the dresses were either too much or too little. I’m pretty sure some of those dresses could be considered shirts.

“Wait.” Gemma put her hand on my shoulder, freezing me in place.

“What?” Her eyes widened as if she just remembered something brilliant.

“I know a place. I can’t believe we didn’t go there first. To the car!” She started pulling me along, until we were back in the car driving to a new location.

“How did I forget this place? I love it so much!” She reprimanded herself and then turned to me. “I’ve bought probably ninety percent of my dresses from there. I love their collections. All their dresses are perfect, I’m not even kidding.” We pulled up to a small boutique, but I could tell that it was expensive just by the store front.

Upon entering, we were greeted with the smell of cinnamon and vanilla, with a slight spice. Everything was done in warm hues and the windows were large, allowing daylight to stream in. I had been in there for a total of ten seconds and I was in love with it.

“Good afternoon, how may I –” A raven haired, middle-aged lady came around the corner, a piece of measuring tape draped across her neck.

“Lucy!” Gemma exclaimed.

“Gemma! How are you? I haven’t seen you here in ages!” Lucy’s eyes were large with surprise and her entire face seemed to light up. It was strange, to say the least, to see Gemma so friendly and warm. It was as if Lucy was her own mother, the way she reacted.

“I’m good! I’ve just been really busy with a film lately. How have you been?”

“I’ve been well, too. Business is always best around the holidays.”

“Ah, yes, speaking of which. This is my friend, Camille, and she doesn’t have a dress for the holiday party on Saturday.”

Lucy looked at me shocked. “This Saturday?” I nodded in reply. “My goodness, you’re in for an interesting afternoon.”