Chapter 21: A Coincidence

Media: Narcissus
https://pin.it/33DgLwq

---

He was aware that Hong Chun wasn't famous in the noble circle but he knew that if some other man got to know her, they would also be trapped just like him.

He couldn't afford to let her be taken away.

When Mao Zhen came back to the booth, she saw her brother looking like an idiot and her friend calmly fixing her hair.

There was an addition of a narcissus pin on her head. In her heart, she lit a candle for her gege.

It was clear who was going to be under who once they're married.

She slipped to her seat and Mao Zhu still hadn't taken notice of her. Mao Zhen sighed. This brother of hers was hopeless.

Should she laugh or should she cry?

Biting on a pastry, she remembered something worthy of gossip.

"A'Chun, do you know gege was recognized by that Sui Commander something? I heard that he'll be promoted again very soon!"

Mao Zhu sobered up by this piece of information. Was it right for his sister to gossip right in front of him?

Hong Chun turned to the girl beside her.

Commander Sui?

"The esteemed leader of the royal guards?"

Mao Zhen got excited as she knew that her friend was well-educated when it came to the people in court.

"Yes! There's more! Brother was even invited by his Majesty himself to go to the banquet prepared by Commander Sui! When Grandma heard this, she almost fainted on the spot!"

"Zhen-zhen, if you don't lower your voice, we'll attract unnecessary attention." Mao Zhu tried to nag his sister.

"Okay, young sis is just proud, you know?" She replied with a wide smile.

Knowing her brother, he wouldn't boast in front of A'Chun so it was her duty to make her friend be amazed at her brother's achievements.

Hong Chun didn't fail her expectations as she urged, "How did Zhu ge meet bi xia?"

The young man sat straighter while recounting the events of that day. His manner was akin to reporting to his superior.

Hong Chun felt her lips twitching because of his story.

Out of all the days his Majesty would stroll around the palace, it had to be the same day that Mao Zhu had business inside.

Was this a red flag?

She disguised her unease with eagerness. "What happened at the Commander's banquet then?"

"Brother briefly talked with the old man and the old man said to visit him in a few days. Even the ignorant me smelled the scent of promotion!" Mao Zhen exclaimed.

"Don't call the commander old man." Her brother scolded.

She pouted at him.

Hong Chun sided with Mao Zhu. "I agree. The commander was once a great general of our nation. If he wasn't badly injured that year, he could be the Grand Marshall now. And instead of choosing the rewards offered by the last emperor, he opted to tutor the princes in martial arts and became our current Emperor's honored master."

Mao Zhu looked at her in awe. "Commander Sui is indeed deserving of respect. I'm amazed you also know these things."

The miss smiled, "Father likes giving us quizzes on important figures and events during meals. How can I forget?"