Chapter Forty-Five: Meet My ...

• Dedicated to Rifal

Chapter Forty-Five: Meet My …

“Should I go for cute and flirty or I like you but I don’t want to try too hard?” I asked, myself holding up two outfits in hand as I inspected them closely.

“What am I doing?” I mumbled, throwing both outfits on my bed. “I am starting to act like a lovesick teenager!” I said, then throwing myself on to my bed. “Great, now I am going insane and talking to myself.”

“I completely agree with yourself on the whole insane thing. I would have called you psychotic but we will work our way there. Don’t worry, sis.” Thomas said, appearing outside my room.

“Don’t you have somewhere to be? Preferably where someone would actually enjoy your presence?” I asked, my little brother sarcastically.

“Can I come in?” He asked, strolling into my room before I could even respond.

“Go ahead you are already in anyways,” I muttered, sitting up on my bed. “So, care to explain why you are up but not fully awake?”

“I heard a few of the guards talking outside my door about you and how you were talking to yourself. I wanted to see the truth for myself.” He said, rubbing his tired eyes.

“Well, I am glad that I am the topic for the guards’ discussion. But, the reason I was mumbling to myself was because today’s Gavin’s birthday and he wants to take me out for the day.”

“It’s his birthday and he wants to take you out? Isn’t it the other way around?” He asked, obviously.

I just threw my hands in there air giving my brother an ‘I don’t know’ action. It was quarter to seven and Gavin had texted me the night before that he was going to be at the normal stop at 7:15. Which gave me an half an hour to get myself presentable.

I stayed on my bed for a few seconds before I decided to get up, having the outfit I wanted to wear in mind. I stood up from my bed, noticing Thomas staring at the picture frame I had perched on my desk.

Walking over to him slowly, I spoke up. “What are you thinking about?”

“How things use to be somewhat normal before dad became president.”

I stared at the picture frame he had in his hand. It was a picture of all four of us, sitting at our old house before we moved here. I was ten and Thomas was three, he was perched in mom’s lap while I was in my dad’s. We were smiling at the camera, with big grins on our face while Thomas just looked confused.

I crinkled my eyebrows in confusion as I finally realized something. “You were three, how do you know what normal was?”

Thomas turned to look at me with a flat look. “I might have been three, but even I am smart enough to know that this is not a strong and proper family.”

I just nodded my solemnly, as I turned around to leave Thomas in his thoughts. I headed over to my closet closing the door and grabbing the outfit that I thought was perfect to wear.

Grabbing a striped black and white blouse from the hanger, pairing it with blue ripped skinny jeans. I threw it on, not before throwing my pajamas in the hamper that I placed in my closet. I also had a mirror in my closet, since it was a walk in closet and big enough for me to move and walk around in.

I ran my hands through my hair a few times, trying to get rid of all the knots and make it look a little bit more than my previous bed head hair. Once I was done with my hair I quickly applied some mascara to my eyelashes and some lip gloss.

I puffed out my cheeks as I stared at myself in the mirror. Tilting my head to the left and right, I stared at my reflection in the mirror. I was more interested in what Gavin had thought of me rather than what I had thought of myself. Call it stupid, but wasn’t that really what any girl thought?