Chapter 08

Jenna didn't even have to turn her head to know it was Sirius Black.

     She sighed to herself in annoyance as Sirius leaned on the counter, so close to her face as he grinned down at her.

     "Five-inches-rule, Padfoot." said James's stern voice from behind, causing Sirius to take a step away from Jenna abruptly, in fear of getting beaten up.

     Turning around, she saw James and Peter there. But there was no sign of who Jenna was most anxious to see.

     "Where's Remus?" Jenna asked, frowning.

      Peter's face went quickly pale, but James looked ever so confident when he said, "He wasn't feeling too well."

     "Again?" Jenna sighed, worried. But she decided to let it go, turning to face Sirius sharply. "And you! Weren't you supposed to be with that Ravenclaw girl, Sarina?"

     "It was Sarah."

     "Whatever." She brushed it off carelessly. "What happened?"

      "Meh," he shrugged, grinning handsomely. "She wasn't fun."

      "Well, you better hope she doesn't go blabbing to her Ravenclaw friends about our new Quidditch moves! Or I'll beat you up with your own beater's bat! Trust me, Black, I'm dead serious when it comes to Quidditch!" Jenna saw the boys laughing at that. "What?"

     "She said dead Sirius!" Peter sniggered.

      "I dunno, he looks pretty alive to me!" said James, poking Sirius on the arm jokingly.

       "Anyway," Jenna said loudly, grabbing their attention. "Speaking of spying, that reminds me... I want you to ask out Diana Greengrass."

"What!? The Slytherin Beater!?" Sirius raved.

"She joined them last year and she's actually the only girl on their team," Jenna explained. "Just get her to talk about Quidditch, or somehow accompany her to their practices without anybody else noticing. I wanted to suggest your brother, but seeing as you two are not in speaking terms, I thought of Diana. Our match with Slytherin is in nine days! We have to win! Just ask her out, will you?"

"Alright. With pleasure." he bowed his head at her sarcastically, but when Jenna turned her head, she heard Sirius muttering to James and Peter, "Quite literally."

Grimacing in disgust, Jenna took the drinks that Madam Rosmerta had placed on the counter and walked back to where Lily and Marlene were chatting.

"Remus is ill again," said Jenna, passing them their butterbears and sitting down. "It happens so frequently. If it was anybody else I would've butted in and have figured everything out years ago."

"But...?" Lily questioned.

"But it's Remus..." Jenna continued, sighing. "I-I don't want to bother him. I want him to have his privacy. But I'm so worried about him."

"Maybe you should go and ask him?" Marlene suggested, already halfway through her drink. "You're the closest girl to him. Maybe he'll tell you."

"No," Jenna shook her head without thinking. "I don't want to make him uncomfortable."

***

As the first Quidditch match of the season approached, Jenna worked with her team harder than ever, practicing every chance that she got. And even though Sirius had failed to get any information from the Slytherin team, they still felt confident in their chances to win.

Finally when the day arrived, everyone talked excitedly in the Great Hall over breakfast.

The whole team was anxious, except for Sirius and James, who were telling anyone who would listen that they were going to kick Slytherins' ass.

But despite that good news, Jenna was still easily the most nervous between them all, but she was too proud to let it show in the slightest. She forced her team to eat good, yet she didn't even touch a toast.

"Team! To the locker-room!" She called after breakfast time was over, and so the seven Gryffindor players went out of the castle and towards the Quidditch field.

Everyone seemed confident in the upcoming game, even though slightly nervous. But Marlene was standing in a corner with her broom in her hands, looking down at her feet nervously, paler than ever.

"You okay, Mar?" Jenna asked gently, walking towards her.

Marlene nodded feebly, but Jenna could tell that she was lying. "It's just that... Slytherins have a strong team this year... what if I fail you?" she sighed. "I don't think I can do this, Jen." Marlene said, hiding her face in her palms.

"Look," Jenna started, placing a hand on Marlene's trembling shoulder, "what did I tell you on the first day we met?"

Marlene thought for a bit. "That's my bunk, bitch?"

"No!" Jenna rolled her eyes. "After that."

Marlene smiled, remembering. "Gryffindors stick together."

"Exactly!" Jenna patted her on the back. "Slytherins play dirty, yes. But there's one thing that they lack; team work. As long as we work together, those idiots won't stand a chance against us!" there was murmur of agreement. "Now let's go and kick some Serpent ass!"

They all roared with applause again, this time Marlene joining in, more confident. The seven players in red Quidditch robes then mounted their brooms and off they went and into the field.

"That was some pep-talk, J.P," said James as they landed back on the ground in the field, patting Jenna on the back. "Didn't know you had it in you."

"Captains shake hands!" Madam Hooch shouted over the cheering crowd and so, grinning at her brother's direction, Jenna went forward.

The Slytherin's captain was a stout and huge keeper. He had no hint of emotions in his eyes as he shook Jenna's hand, squeezing so hard as if to break her fingers. But Jenna squeezed even harder, causing him to pull back promptly.

"Mount your brooms!" Madam Hooch called. "On my whistle! Three... Two... one!"

With the sound of her whistle, the balls were all set free and the players shot to the sky. Henry Abbott, a Hufflepuff fifth year boy was the commentator of the match as always, speaking through the magical microphone.

"Chaser James Potter catches the Quaffle! He flies past Tom Walker, Slytherin chaser! Potter throws the Quaffel at chaser Marlene McKinnon!" Henry said cheerfully.

"She flies towards the hoops – a bludger's been thrown at her direction – blocked by beater Sirius Black! He's rather handsome – for the record, I'm not gay. Just observing."

He got a death glare from Professor McGonagall. "Right... back to the game! McKinnon gets closer to the hoop – almost there – YES! SHE SCORES! Ten points to Gryffindor!"

Jenna flew high above the field, searching every inch of the place carefully for the golden snitch.

"The Quaffle is passed to James Potter! He's going for the hoops — Beater Diana Geengrass in now going for the Bludger! She throws it at Sirius Black and — WOAH! That was a close miss! He nearly falls off his broom! Damn... It looked personal..."

Twenty minutes into the game, the score was sixty to forty in Gryffindor's favor, and that was when Jenna had finally spotted it. So leaning forward on her broom, she shot onward.

"Looks like seeker Jenna Potter has spotted the snitch! Look at her go! Seeker Regulus Black has shot forward as well – Oh, no! He is shot by a bludger sent from his own brother, Sirius, and – ouch! He hits the ground! That must've hurt..."

Jenna's heart was pounding so hard as she neared the snitch with speed. She stretched her hand, ready to catch it. Almost there. So close. And finally –

"Potter catches the Snitch!" Henry boomed. "GRYFFINDOR WINS!"