Chapter Five: Whine and Dine

Cody came back a few hours later, finding nothing. Well, knowing his tactic of ‘looking’ would be barrelling through the forest like a crazed rhino completely tunnel-visioned in a rage. But all the same, I trust his judgement. Not like I have much of a choice here.

Anne believed that it was her fault that they were attacked because she didn’t ‘see’ it. How can it be her fault? Normal people (like myself) don’t even get an inkling as to what may happen in the future. It took a lot to convince her but really, I think she just gave up on me and continues to quietly blame herself.

Markus…went back into his shell. He wouldn’t eat or talk for a few days. He completely refuses to sleep unless I was with him round the clock. Cody has also kept his wondering to around the house, completely on alert. Which is good in a way. I didn’t have to go looking too far for him. But he also refused to breach the subject of him and the overly ‘heroic’ rebels and their stupid plans that they have in store that I just know will end badly. Not to mention that the new moon is fast approaching. There was only one day left.

I stare at him across the table that Anne has forced me to sit at while she’s force feeding me whatever she finds. Which are practically wild vegetables and fruit that are strewn all over the farm. She knows I skip out on meals so that there is more on the table for them, so she gets on my case until I eat something. Though she does try to get ‘creative’…and I’m staring down a plate of mashed potato mixed with carrot, cauliflower and…I think turnip and apple all lumped in together in a gooey mess. It doesn’t exactly look appetizing but the way she’s glaring a hole into my head… I picked up a spoon and take a bite…tastes like baby food but I am hungry and she’s still glaring at me. So to be safe I take another bite and swallow.

Satisfied, my sister sits beside Cody with a cup of water. “When are you planning to go?” She doesn’t look at him but the question is directed at Cody.

“...In the morning.”

“Then we best get some sleep,” she says into her cup.

“Uh-uh. You lot are staying here. That includes you, Kae.”

I glare at him, “I am not going to let you go wondering off with those idiots. If I can’t stop you, then I will come along and make sure you don’t do something completely stupid.”

“They’re not idiots.”

“Oh sorry. Idiots with guns and a pre-dated sense of justice.”

“They’re not idiots,” he repeats.

“What proof do you need?” I mutter more to myself, “They invited you.”

“I heard that!”

“Are you running away?” A small voice said from the doorway. It’s been over two weeks since Markus had opened his mouth and his wide eyes were on Cody.

“No, not running away,” Cody is absolutely taken aback with shock.

“Then why are you leaving us behind?”

“It’s not safe.”

“What? And leaving us here is?” I stare at Cody while motioning for Markus to sit next to me, pushing my plate in front of him and placing the spoon in his hand. He doesn’t hesitate to eat, albeit slowly, but at least he’s eating.

I didn’t want to bring up what happened two weeks ago in front of Markus so I was hoping Mr Thick-Head with hooves across the table catches on. I suck as any kind of protector. Markus and Anne may be filled with mystical voodoo powers but they fluctuate and get unstable so bloody easily. The tree in the house is a good example. …What happened to our original house and the surrounding suburb is another.