chapter IV ༄

~Julia~

I stormed out of that classroom as quickly as possible, trying not to look at the ones passing me, hence the redness of my cheeks.
I feel I am falling for him, though that's the least I want to do. I have seen Tom Riddle in the past years here at Hogwarts, and I have came to know what kind of a person he is.
He fakes it. His manners, his words, his will. He fakes it all, only being saved by his charming face and those.. oh, those grey eyes. Or blue. I can't seem to tell.
When peaceful, which is rather rare, they are the iciest, grey eyes. And when mad, they turn dark. As if there is no life in him. . .
  And that black, slightly curly hair of his can drive women insane.
His deep, raspy voice. It speaks to your soul, leaving it numb, but you have no complains, because you love hearing it. I love hearing it.
. . .
Still, I can't find the tiniest bit of humanity in him. Even if he is the most handsome and charming man I have ever encountered, and even if he has the most seductive use of words and voice, I will still see him for what he is. Not a monster, though. Not yet. But with no help, he may even become one, someday, somehow. . .Help. He needs it. And if no one will give it to him, I will.
I'll help you, Tom Riddle. Even if it will tear me apart. I'll help you.

~

The Slytherin common room was once again entered by Riddle himself. It was filled with third- maybe fourth year students, but no signs of his followers.

He went to check the dormitory, and there they were. None of them daring to look at him. Heck, some of them had the audacity to pretend they didn't notice him.

"Can't seem to greet people, I see." Tom said, filling the room with tension.

"I-We apologize, Tom." his follower, Rosier replied.

"Tom. That is what you dare to call me." he paused for a moment, looking around in the room, with disgust. "Have you not seen what happened to Lestrange, Rosier? Or should I repeat my rather ugly actions?"

"N-no... m-my Lord." the boy said, though the last word was simply how he resembled Tom. A Lord.

"Good. I fancy that nickname. Now, I have made a decision regarding the chamber. And I surely hope that all of you will be willing to help." he scanned their faces. "If you don't want to get punished, of course."

"We are listening, my Lord." Avery said, empowering Tom to talk about his plan.

"And you should indeed listen." a slight smirk formed at the corner of his lips, a rather evil smirk. "Tomorrow I will make a visit to my beloved beast, and I would appreciate if one of you joined me. I will tell it to only bother the ones with no wizard blood running in their veins." he paused, the smirk growing wider and wider. "Which one of you will be willing to help?"

There was silence. But not for long.

Avery pushed himself up his seat. "I'll come with you, my Lord."

"Very brave of you, Avery. I hope you won't disappoint." and with that, Tom left the room.

~

Students were roaming in the hallways, making their way towards the Great Hall for dinner.

The tables were filled with delicious looking foods.

Tom, as usual, was sitting farther away from his followers, wanting the most privacy he could have in the Hall, being filled with students.

Just as the food was starting to get consumed, the students were interrupted by the headmaster's claps, demanding attention.

The Hall went quiet, and headmaster Dippet was ready to speak.
"Thank you for your attention!  I have something important to announce. This Sunday, Hogwarts will be holding a dance. By that I want to tell you, that I expect each and everyone of you to put effort into your appearances, for this 'party' will be rather formal. And of course, the tradition of showing up in pairs still remains till' this very day. Have a blessed dinner!" he said, ending his speech with a slight smile.

Some started whispering, some showed looks of excitement and even the opposite.

Tom glanced at the Ravenclaw table, more specifically at Julia.

She looked excited, which wasn't exactly Tom's case. He never liked parties, though he enjoyed the ones professor Slughorn has organized. Those were more intimate, considering the fact that there were only few of the students attending them. This upcoming party was quite the opposite, hence the whole school was going to it.

~

Dinner was over, and the students started exiting the Great Hall.
As Julia was walking towards the Grand Staircase with three of her friends, Tom grabbed her wrist and pulled her back.

"Oh, hi there!" she said, with a slight pink color appearing on her cheeks. "You need something?"

"I figured I wanted to ask you something." he said, rubbing the back of his head.

Julia seemed to already know the question, for she got really excited, still, she wanted to sound curious. "Is that so? Well then, what is it that you want to ask me?"

"I wanted to ask if you-" he paused for a moment, hesitating on the question. "-if you would like to have more brewing lessons."

The smile on the girl's face gradually turned into a rather disappointed one.
"Yes, of course. I suppose I'll see you tomorrow then." she said with a sad smile.

Julia pulled her hand out of Tom's grip and was already going up the stairs.

"Julia." she heard Tom's voice.

The girl turned around to face him. She tilted her head in confusion. "What is it?"

Tom paused. He looked deeply into her hazel eyes. "Good night." were the words that escaped his mouth.

He was expecting a response, but he didn't receive one. She just continued her way up the stairs, without saying anything.

Guilt. The first time he ever experienced this very feeling.