fourteen

— 𝗖𝗛𝗔𝗣𝗧𝗘𝗥 𝗙𝗢𝗨𝗥𝗧𝗘𝗘𝗡
( 𝘕𝘖𝘈𝘏. )

THE PAIR MADE THEIR WAY to a lot between buildings to rest before they continued their mission

THE PAIR MADE THEIR WAY to a lot between buildings to rest before they continued their mission. Murphy sat on a low concrete wall with Daryl's help, still holding her left side in pain. He observed her expression, handing her his canteen of water. She silently thanked him, taking a small sip to conserve it. She screwed the lid back on and handed it back.

As Daryl put it back in his pack, he asked, "How bad is it?"

Gently, Murphy pulled up her undershirt to see the injury, and she was met with blue and purple skin where the rib had been broken. Daryl leaned forward to get a better look, and his eyes squinted in mild disgust.

"I'll be fine," Murphy responded, taking shallow breaths to reduce the sharp pains. She pressed down on the tender area carefully. "It's only a fracture. It'll heal in a month."

Daryl made eye contact once more, "You said you were a surgeon."

Murphy shuffled through her bag to find a small container of pills at the bottom. It was ibuprofen. She unscrewed the bottle, and swallowed a few with a sip from her water bottle. She nodded while doing so, replying, "Yeah, a trauma surgeon. Car accidents, gun wounds... that kind of stuff."

Daryl hummed in response, sitting down next to her on the wall. She set her bag down on the ground by her feet, placing her arms beside her and leaning back. The two were silent as they rested for a moment.

Murphy spoke, "There's only three blocks between us and Grady."

Daryl nodded, and replied, "We need to find a place nearby. Scope it out, see what we can see."

"You think we can find out what we need by watching?"

"It's where we start. C'mon."

Murphy let out a breath of air in preparation, standing up with some difficulty. She carefully swung her bag back on her shoulders, gripping her gun in her hands. The two of them made their way to a nearby building that happened to be unlocked. They climbed the staircase to see if they had a good view of the hospital. Climbing the flights of stairs was hard for Murphy, and she got out of breath quickly. But, they made it to the top floor, carefully walking through the halls where bodies lay strewn across the corridor.

On the floor, a walker was immobile but growled nonetheless, reaching with its emaciated hands towards the two. Daryl walked forward, stabbing it in the head and silencing it quickly. Beside the body was a bag of snacks, which he began to shuffle through.

Murphy stopped beside a window in the hallway and said, "I see them. We're good here."

Daryl raised his head and stepped forward. He pulled out a bag of chips and handed it to her wordlessly.