23

"Keefe, you always seem a bit... off, whenever you talk about your family. Will you tell me why?" Sophie asked as they walked, hand in hand, to Keefe's house.

"Glad to know the Mysterious Miss F cares," Keefe joked.

"You overuse that nickname, Sencen. Stick with Foster, will ya?" Keefe rolled his eyes.

"Fiiiine, but anyways, about my family, it's just that I haven't always had the best relationship with my dad, and my mom left our family a few years ago," he explained.

Sophie wrapped her arm around Keefe's waist. "I'm sorry you have to go through that, but I won't pity you because I know you won't want that. If you ever need a place to go though, my house is always open," Sophie offered.

"I really got lucky with you, Foster." Suddenly they came to a stop. "Well, this is it."  Sophie gasped. If there was an award for world's tallest house, Keefe's would have won. Every time she walked by, she thought it was an office, not a house.

"Y-you live here?" Sophie asked.

"Yeah," Keefe laughed before putting on a straight face and moving forward. "I'm home!" Keefe shouted as they walked through the huge doors. 

Keefe's father strolled down the steps. "Wait, your dad is Lord Cassius?!" Sophie whisper-shouted. Keefe nodded and looked down at the floor. No wonder Keefe didn't have a good relationship with his father. Everyone knew that Lord Cassius was a corrupt businessman who only cared about money.

"Who have you brought home this time, Keefe? Another young lady? How many is that this week? Four?" Keefe flushed a dark crimson and shook his head.

"No, this is the first this week, father. And you're going to see a lot more of her," Keefe replied, holding his head high.

"Why? Did you propose?" Lord Cassius chuckled to himself, but Sophie and Keefe just stood there.

"Hey Foster, I'm good. You can go home," Keefe whispered to Sophie.

"You sure you're ok?" Sophie asked.

"Yeah, he seems to be in a good mood, right now. Best to take advantage of it."

"Ok, love you," Sophie said as she walked out the door.

"Love you, too," he responded. 

Sophie walked home slowly. She was so grateful to have two caring parents like Grady and Edaline, and resolved to never take them for granted. She arrived at home and got the mail. Throwing it on the kitchen table inside, one letter caught her eye. It was a small white envelope with a red seal. And it was addressed to her. She carefully opened it.

The Neverseen have struck again. The town council is having a meeting to banish them. Meet at City Hall tomorrow at nine-o'clock sharp. -Mr. Forkle

Sophie gasped. The Neverseen was a gang that went around, terrorizing the whole town. There had been talk of banishing them for years, but that threat had never been made good on until now. Sophie started to make dinner. After it was done, she hollered for Grady and Edaline. As they sat around the table, Sophie told them about the letter.

Usual Grady style, he asked, "Are you sure it's safe?" But Edaline was better.

"You'll be there Sophie, don't worry." 

"Thanks mom and dad. Now I'm going to go to my room. I'm really tired. Love you guys!"

"Love you, Soph," they replied.

Keefe was still on Sophie's mind after she got ready for bed. Sophie decided to text him to check up on him. (A/n you already know this, but texts are italicized.)

U good Sencen?

The reply was almost immediate. Yep, I escaped to my room, so his good mood wouldn't wear off on me.

Cool, just making sure.

Ur the best

I know :)

Goodnight Foster xx

Goodnight Keefe xx