Chapter 59

Khloe's POV:

I followed Nico's quick steps back to our room, my heart still racing from experiencing that whole conversation.

I couldn't even imagine what Nico was feeling at this point, but I knew that he had to hurting.

Every single meal I've been to with his family had ended up with some sort of argument.

Did all of their meals end up like that?

Did he have to go through that daily?!

I couldn't imagine...

My hands nervously fidgeted at my front as he opened up his door and we walked in.

I closed the door behind us, seeing how Nico was just standing there a couple feet away from me.

He stood completely still, shoulders taut while his head hung just a bit.

I opened my mouth to attempt at some sort of comfort, but every word I could think of died on my tongue.

On top of whatever been effecting him lately, it seemed like that conversation was the final straw for him.

He was hurting and I didn't know why.

I've never seen him this upset and I didn't know what to do.

I stepped forward, figuring that I could at least try something.

So, going up behind him, I wrapped my arms around him.

I felt him release a shaky exhale before feeling his hands against my arms.

I knew that I didn't know everything that was going on, but even with the things that I was aware of were bad enough.

There were still so many things that I didn't know about, and only now was he looking like the stress was getting out of hand.

I know he said that he would tell me when he was ready, but I thought I might as well try.

If nothing else, just to remind him that I was here for him and wanted more than anything to help him.

"Talk to me, "I pleaded in a whisper, feeling his fingers tighten, "Please."

His chest stilled for a few seconds, mine tensing in anxiousness for an answer.

Xander had said that Nico was always set on fixing things himself, but if that leads him to act like this, then I'm hoping he'll accept my help.

This past week has been agonizing for him, regardless of how well he tried to hide it from me.

He didn't smile as much, and when he did they weren't always full of straight joy. I could always just barely spot an underlying hint of melancholy.

Whatever it was, I just hoped it wasn't because of me.

"I'm sorry," He spoke up, his voice straining "You shouldn't have had to see that."

I loosened my hold as he turned, my arms lowering to my sides.

My chest ached at the expression he held.

The closest thing I could explain it as was complete exhaustion, completely devoid of hope.

"You don't have to apologize, Nico," I consoled, " I just want to help you."

His eyes lowered towards the ground in a moment of thought.

Then, a knock at his door caused me to turn.

It was a gentle knock, one that I didn't recognize, but Nico seemed to.