Twenty-nine

Kaycee paced around her bedroom, her phone rested in the crook of her neck while she nervously tidied up various surfaces and listened to the calm voice on the other end of the line.

"Look, I'm sorry, but it's been a month. I'm surprised I was able to hide it for that long without my nosy family finding out." Sean spoke quietly, clearly wary of Kaycee's reaction.

Kaycee rolled her eyes, "I've been able to do it!"

"You cover it up with nine pounds of makeup, that's gotta be some sort of cheating." She could practically hear Sean shaking his head in exasperation through the phone.

She sighed, rubbing the thumb over her left wrist, tracing the three letters that she had left uncovered for the first time in weeks. Sean had called her a few minutes ago to inform her that Serris had somehow seen the initials on his wrist and told his parents. Though his entire family was elated, Sean was still lectured for hiding something so big for so long. And to top it all off, new rules were enforced, one of them being that Kaycee was no longer allowed in Sean's room with the door closed, which was easily Kaycee's least favorite of them all.

"I have a feeling my parents won't take it as well as yours did." She mumbled.

"If you actually tell them instead of them figuring it out against your will, I'm sure it'll be a lot easier than my situation." Sean replied, thoughtfully. "And your parents are more easygoing than mine, anyway."

"Aren't you even the slightest bit worried?"

"Not really." Sean answered, nonchalantly, pausing for a moment before continuing. "I mean, as long as they still trust both of us, I don't see anything to be worried about."

Kaycee reached down to pick at her cuticles. Though Sean had been reassuring her throughout the entire phone call, her heart was still beating out of her chest. The last thing that she wanted to do was give her parents any reason to not trust her, but she felt like she'd done just that by hiding her wrist. Not only had she been hiding a large part of her life from her family, but she'd also been breaking one of her parents' rules by having Sean, a boy who she now evidently had feelings for, alone in her room. When her and Jack were together, her parents would rarely let the two out of their sight, let alone allow Jack in Kaycee's room. Though that rule never applied to Sean, she knew things would change as soon as she revealed her secret.

"Stop messing with your cuticles." Sean blurted, interrupting Kaycee's internal panicking. "Go talk to your family, I'm leaving for a class in about thirty seconds."

"You're sure you can't talk for a little bit longer-"

"I'm hanging up on you, Kayc." He cut her off, Kaycee could hear the clanging of metal keys in the background. "As long as your parents still like me, I'll see you after class. Just let me know what happens, okay?"

"I don't think telling them today would be a good idea-"

Before Kaycee could even finish her thought, the line buzzed, indicating that Sean did, in fact, hang up on her. She sighed, throwing her phone onto her mattress and herself along with it, burying her face in her pillow. The very last thing she thought she would be doing today was telling her parents she got her letters. 

After pouting for a solid five minutes or so, Kaycee decided she should get this over with. There was no use putting it off, her anxiety would just get worse with every passing second. She reluctantly slid off of her bed, her feet connecting with the wood floor beneath her and padded over to her bedroom door, slipping out into the hallway.

She made her way over to the staircase, hearing faint voices and the television from the family room below. Without allowing herself to overthink, she made her slow descent down the stairs and into the family room, her right hand wrapped around her left wrist out of habit.