Chapter 31

"Come on newbies, let's get you ready." Annot growled. The soldiers positioned outside let us in after we showed them out security passes. Inside the building was a glassy black with many doors in the corridors. We stopped outside a supply closet and Annot went and grabbed five guns and five new security passes.

I placed the gun securely in my belt as we walked down the hallways and to another door, hidden in the wall. Annot opened the door quietly and led us inside. I looked inside the room, it was a long staircase going down. Winding around thousands of times, until you would get sick.

"Keep going down, a soldier will take you to the laboratory. Annot out." He proclaimed and closed the door on us as he left.

We were stuck in the dark.

I grabbed a flashlight out of my backpack and turned it on. I surveyed the area, checking for guards. Once I new the coast was clear, I turned to the others.

 "Game plan, we need our two most skilled people and Emet to go into the lab and retrieve the Fortum. All security will be activated once the Fortum is taken so the smartest thing we do is hide. Before we start the mission, I'll survey the area. Once it is safe enough, Emet will take the Fortum and run. The rest of us will stay and fight. Then we get out of here and back to the Subsisto."

This was it, no turning back now.

We headed downstairs and saw a soldier, a girl, about our age, standing near a door. She spotted us straight away and held out her gun. I showed her my security pass and she lowered the gun hesitantly. "I'm soldier Carr, me and my team have been assigned to guarding the laboratory." I explained. "Follow me."

She opened the door and before us was a twist and turn of corridors. She took us down a few and I memorised the directions, for later.

We finally reached a door with a bright, red sign hanging on it. 'No access pass this point' It read. The girl left us and we stood outside the door, like real soldiers. I spotted a few cameras around but they weren't blinking, they were disabled. So my trick really did work. "Me, Emet and Zach, let's go." I ordered and we opened the large, steel door.

The room was a midnight black had nothing in it, only a podium with a glass case on top. And on that podium was a very tiny machine. It looked like a phone but really, it was something bigger. Something that could dismantle a city and rebuild it in a second. It ruins lives, or saves them.

Emet started walking to the podium but I stopped him straight away, something wasn't right. I looked around the room and I noticed the smallest reflection - of a light. There were lasers.

I spotted where a few of them were coming out of and I carefully tip-toed to one of the points. I knelt down and placed my hand near a minuscule hole. My electrical powers will help.

I felt a jolt of electricity leave my fingertips and into the wall. A few seconds after, the lasers came alive and then just as quickly, shut down. I looked over to Emet and motioned him to grab the Fortum.

I then heard a knock on the door. "Your cover has been blown! Get out of there now if you don't want to be harmed severely!" I heard a threatening voice scream. I looked over to Zach and pointed to the Fortum. Him and Emet ran over to the podium and started fiddling with the case. I jumped in front of the door with my palms facing out and started creating a wall made of the floor material which was solid titanium.

"Got it!" I heard Emet's voice yell. I turned my head and I wasn't paying attention...

Bad idea.

The wall I created came tumbling down and a well-build soldier was on the other side. He had a gun in his hand and started aiming for us. I missed six bullets, one grazing my neck.

But the bullet did hit something.

Emet.

--

It was all in slow motion. The bullet hitting him straight in the heart. His body convulsed backwards and he fell to the cold, hard ground with a thud. A puddle of blood was underneath Emet as his eyes went from fear to- nothing. I felt a scream escape my lips as I turned away from the horrific sight of my friend, dead and I looked to the solider who had a content look on his face.

His last look.

I sent a sharp fragment of stone from my fingertips straight into the man's chest. He fell limp on the ground, dead. An alarm rang out through the building. "Get the Fortum!" I howled to Zach who picked it up out of Emet's lifeless hands and placed it in his backpack. I held back the tears seeing Emet's lifeless body. We ran out the door and found Hilary and Matt fighting back about ten soldiers. I placed my palms out and in one sweep, all of them were blown back to the wall with a powerful gust of wind. I lead the others through the tunnel, slipping in and out of corridors, fighting back soldiers. I became fed up with the soldiers and killing another soul didn't sound scary anymore.

We made it to the maze's exit and we ran up the stairs. I heard many loud footsteps coming from above. I stopped and looked around quickly, there aren't any places we could hide. "Stay here." I commanded to the others as I started climbing the stairs. The soldiers, about thirty noticed me straight away and started firing their guns at me. I sent out a blast of fire before any bullet could hit me. I dropped to the ground as I saw bullets ricocheting off the wall behind me. I heard ear-shattering wails coming from the fire.

A few seconds later, they all stopped.

I sent a wave of water over the fire a minute later. I grabbed my flashlight out of my belt to survey the area. All I could see were charred bodies. I looked away and suddenly felt nauseous. I heard more footsteps behind me but thankfully, it was only the rest of the crew. Hilary looked like she had seen a ghost as she looked at the bodies. Matt's mouth was gaping open. But Zach looked completely unaffected. "W-we need t-to g-go." I stuttered out of weakness. We went up the rest of the stairs, having to step over the charred bodies. We reached the top of the stairwell and walked out. Soot and dust was covering our faces, so we were unrecognizable.

Soldiers turned around to look at us. "So?" One asked, probably about what happened at the laboratory. "T-they got a-away." I answered. "But they burned at least thirty soldiers down there. The others have to analyze the area, before the soot comes up here." Hilary added in. Before we knew it, a crowd of people in uniform walked into the stairwell.

We walked out of the building, finally free...

Until Matt grabbed me and led me into an alleyway, and stabbed me straight in the back...

-----------

Teaser for chapter 32: Krista runs into a familiar enemy who is out for her blood. Who is this person? And how does this person have anything to do with her past?

Thx for reading! Next chapter will be packed!! Stick around and see...

HT12