six

There was competition among a whole host of suitors for Princess Pavetta's hand in marriage, but it was all a sham

There was competition among a whole host of suitors for Princess Pavetta's hand in marriage, but it was all a sham. Calanthe had already decided her daughter would marry Crach an Crait, a drunken idiot who would benefit the kingdom by providing a useful political alliance.

Pavetta was less than pleased about her boorish husband-to-be. However, Duny, a knight with the head of a hedgehog, arrived to claim Pavetta. Much to Calanthe's displeasure, Duny had a legitimate claim to marry Pavetta: a social contract called the Law of Surprise. It meant that one person who received a great service from another granted them a boon. The trick was that neither the giver nor the receiver would know what the boon will be until it was given. In that case, Duny saved the life of Pavetta's father and was promised something unexpected - which turned out to be Pavetta. Geralt refused to kill Duny, claiming he was no monster.

"I love Duny, Mother," Pavetta announced. "I will marry him. I will finally be free."

Calanthe handed her sword to Eist, and the guards lowered their weapons. She offered Duny a hand and leaned in. "Here is your destiny." She pulled a dagger and thrust it toward his throat.

"NO!" Pavetta shrieked.

Her supernatural power sent everyone but herself and Duny flying. Glass shattered and the furniture tumbled. Pavetta began to chant something in Elder and the two of them rose into the air, surrounded by a swirling wind. Geralt attempted on breaking the barrier, but it pushed him back. Beryl grunted against the strong force.

"Any further and she'll kill us," Beryl hissed out.

Geralt took out a vial, containing a strengthening potion. Beryl placed a hand on the vial, lowering it.

"There will be no need for that. All I require is your hand."

She looked at him, earnest and strong. He stashed the vial back into his pocket and extended his hand. She gripped his hand and stared at Pavetta and Duny inside their barrier.

"Whatever you're planning, do it quickly," he ordered.

Beryl closed her eyes and took a deep breath. When she opened her eyes, they were pitch black, reminding Geralt of himself. Scales emerged on her arms. She opened her mouth and let out a deafening shriek, knocking Pavetta and Duny out of the air. The wind ceased. Beryl took deep breaths in order to calm her heartbeat. Her eyes slowly turned to her usual color.

"Do you believe in destiny now?" Eist asked Calanthe.

Calanthe got up to her feet and hugged Pavetta. "I thought your grandmother's gift had skipped you as it did me. It seems I was wrong - about so many things. Destiny has spoken!" she declared. " And I have listened. The Law of Surprise will be honored. Pavetta will marry Lord Urcheon."