two

Jaskier, believing Geralt to be dead because of the selkiemore, grabbed his lute and prepared to sing a new song to the town folk who hired them to kill the selkimore

In reality, Geralt was still very much alive inside the stomach of the selkiemore. Beryl, who had been crying tears in the safety of a wedge beween pointy rocks, noticed that the selkiemore had swallowed Geralt whole. She could hear him grunting and groaning inside. She sniffled and looked up at the skies to see if there were any sirens in the air. Once she saw none, she swam over to help him.

Selkiemrores were harmlesss. They were simple plankton-eaters who would accidentally swallow others things in the process of trying to find plankton. Human flesh was Beryl's favorite meal, but any other flesh would work as well. She extended her claws and slashed the underside of the selkiemore.

"I'm sorry," she whispered.

She extracted her claws and reached into the stomach, feeling around for Geralt. Once she felt what she assumed was his arm, she pulled him out in the middle of the ocean. She held him afloat. Mer-folk were strong swimmers, but Beryl had many cuts and wounds from the sirens on her tails and arms, so she couldn't hold him for long.

Geralt gasped for air as he noticed the slowly sinking selkiemore and the mermaid holding him up. She grabbed a chunk of the selkiemore flesh to eat later. Without any words spoken, she swam as close to shore as she could and set Geralt off. Once on shore, Geralt caught a good look at her - and her tail.

"A mermaid?" he asked. "You're far from home."

"I have no home," she said.

Gralt looked at the wounds on her tails. Blood was gushing out from her taill. He sighed. "Can you walk?"