Fractured trust

Lena's POV

"Ms Luthor?"

"Yes, Eve!" I answered

"There is a reporter from CatCo here to see you for an interview. Should I let them in or tell them you are busy?" Eve asked a little tensed up

"It's okay Eve, you can let them in" I answered assuming it was just a reporter from CatCo for some update on what L-Corp has been working on

As soon as Eve leaves my office to let the reporter in, I keep working on my paperwork as I wait for the reporter to come in. Shortly, I hear the door open but I can't be bothered to look at the reporter because I'm guessing they are here to ask me whether I'm planning a mass murder or to destroy the world any time soon.

"What is this about? because I have a lot of paperwork to finish before the end of today", I said with my head buried on the paperwork. 

"Uh....! Snapper sent me for an update on L-Corp's recent projects or any new ones that you are working on". 

I would recognize that voice anywhere in the world, it belongs to the one and the only person I wasn't planning on seeing any time soon. It's so soft and tender, I missed it, I missed her. I almost ran up to give her a hug and tell her how much I missed her, but I stopped as soon as I realised what I was about to do. I wasn't ready to let my guard down any time soon.

"Why did he send you?" I asked, but as soon as I said it out loud I realised it sounded so dark and cold that I regretted it myself. And at that very moment, I saw the hurt in her eyes. I could feel the guilt coursing through every vein and cell in my body, guilt for hurting her. I couldn't bear to see her in pain, and yet I still wanted her to feel the pain I felt when I found out that she had been lying to me the entire time.

"I asked him if I could do the interview. I thought that we'd have a chance to talk since we haven't really talked about what happened between us" Kara said with her eyes locked on her feet.

To be honest, I have never seen Kara with so much less confidence in herself until now, she can't bring herself to look at me in the eye while talking to me. From the time she entered my office, she hasn't made any eye contact with me like she always does, we'd always stare into each other's eyes and most of the time we'd just get lost in each other till one of us breaks the contact. But now she's been either looking at her feet or the walls of my office. As if this is the first time she's been in here.

I don't know what's worse, the fact that I want to hug her and tell her that we can work things out or the fact that she can't even look at me in the eye. 

"So should I call you Kara or Supergirl? actually never mind I'll call you Supergirl since Kara Danvers was just a lie. A lie you used to get close to me and use me just like what Superman did to Lex" I said

"Lee that's not what I was doing, I...." I couldn't let her finish what she was about to say

I didn't want to know what she was trying to explain or her reasons for lying to me.

"You know what Kara?..., I don't want your lies anymore. I made a mistake by letting you into my life and now I suffer the consequences of my mistake" 

"You know, when I moved to National City, I promised myself that I wouldn't let anyone to my life anymore, that I would just run my company and not to trust anyone because I had been used and betrayed several times. But then I met you and you told me to trust in people again, to give them a chance and I did. I let you in, I became your friend or so I thought I was. I gave you my trust Kara, I shared most of my life, secrets and experiences with you, I told you things that I had never told anyone before and yet the entire time you were lying to my face, making me look like a fool in front of your friends. So don't tell me that you want to talk about what happened between us, because nothing happened between us, you're just like the rest of my family. But perhaps you are worse than them because at least they had the guts to tell me they had been lying and using me"

I was so hurt that I just exploded and shared a piece of my mind with Kara and by the time I realised that I was standing in front of Kara, I had finished telling her everything that was running inside my head.

I just took a long and deep breath.

"Lee will you please give me a chance to explain?" Kara asked

"Kara, there is nothing for you to explain because no matter what you say I wouldn't believe you anyway. So can we please get over with the interview already?" 

"Sure" was all Kara had to say.