31 Fiction Comes True 2/2

假戏真唱
Jiǎ xì zhēn chàng
Fiction comes true.
Play-acting that turns into reality.

*~*~*~*~*~*

Sanli and Kageyama returned from the memorial temple a few days after that. When I questioned why he had needed to stay behind longer, Sanli mentioned something about securing supplies for the refugees.

An excellent reason.

The bronzed season came in full, and with it everywhere the trees turned their cloaks to red and gold, and began to drop them across the valley.

Orange and yellow leaves, dried and paper crisp, crunched under my heavy wooden shoes as I made my way down the path, returning from one of my walks in the forest to Wo You Nai. The smell of fallen leaves and the cold earth beneath them filled my nose.

When I entered the courtyard, the men, Sanli, Kageyama, and Zakhar, were all about to saddle up and ride somewhere. A sense of urgency hung in the air, and the men's faces, and the faces of the servants and guards around them, were worried.

"What has happened?" I asked.

"Erli has received a letter from our brother, Xiangli, in the capital. He has announced that when he returns in a few days our new 'allies' will be with him," said Sanli, frowning down at the reins as he straightened them in preparation to ride.

"What?" I questioned, confused.

"He has signed a mutual defense treaty with one of the other kingdoms," said Sanli with a grimace. "Despite the fact we barely have the men and resources to defend our own." Sanli's last words were muttered, but I still heard them.

I blinked. "Which of the other kingdoms?"

"We do not know," said Sanli, bringing his heels to Little Light's sides, "That's why we are going to my mother's courtyard to find out."

He kicked Little Light toward the entrance, followed by Kageyama on Makabe.

"Wait! Take me with you!" I said, hurrying after them.

"Here Ao," said Zakhar, reigning Dunya up beside me. He reached down an arm and grasped mine, pulling me into the saddle before him.

We rode after the prince and Kageyama. Dunya's sturdy legs were sure, even on the smooth leaf strewn paths of the valley.

"You have absolutely no idea which of the other four kingdoms it is that Sanli's brother signed the treaty with?" I asked Zakhar, turning my head to talk to him.

"None," grunted Zakhar. "Though I'm guessing it is not the Central Regions or the Northern Territories. The Black Lord doesn't believe in 'defense treaties'." His voice rumbled in his chest behind me. "And even Sanli's brother isn't fool enough to sign a treaty with a country that's already in open rebellion."

"Hmmm." I agreed with what Zakhar had said. That just left the South, and Zhu.

Or the West, and Baihu.

I felt a tremor of anticipation in my stomach as we rode into the courtyard of Lady Lu. It was alive with servants, bustling every which way, cleaning, carrying supplies, leading horses.