◆20

Jeno sat stoic at the desk, eyes boring into the desk and he made no effort to talk as the two groups discussed their plans

"Jeno, are you listening?" Yuta asked, making the younger boy look up and give a curt nod.

The door suddenly burst open, revealing the girl he had just been thinking of- only now she was completely healed and made quite an entrance.

His eyes followed her like a hawk.
"Count me in." She stated briefly, pulling out the chair and sitting directly in front of Jeno before nodding over at Yuta to continue.

The leader sighed and nodded, carrying on with his plans but all Jeno could think about was the horrifying memories that traumatised him from a young age.

"I'm sorry for interrupting, but there's been an attack in the Aurelia nursery!"
Heejin's head snapped up and she stood up immediately, switching into action.

Yuta pressed on the earpiece in his ear, addressing the members in his mafia as Jeno watched it happen.

Heejin rushed out of the room and Yuta glanced over at Jeno knowingly.
"I trust you to make sure she's okay."

Jeno wordlessly nodded, exiting the room after her and Mark furrowed his brows.
"Wait why Jeno, they barely know each other-"
"Shut the fuck up and give me a shoulder massage Mark."

Jeno was waiting outside in his fancy sports car, fingers drumming on it as he looked out of the front window, deep in thought.

"Having emotions make you weak Jeno, you can't rule if you're weak, no one will love you if you're weak."

The 8 year old boy looked up at his Father in slight awe as they sped around in the fast car and Myunho stepped on the gas, the ticklish feeling in Jeno's stomach growing and he held onto the side.

"S-slow down-"

"This is life son, the thrill of death."

All he remembered was the sight of bright headlights and his Father launched the car inside of a store, glass shattering.

The sound of the car door shutting make Jeno flinch slightly and Heejin narrowed her eyes at him, curious.

"Why are you assisting me anyway?" She grumbled, sitting in the passenger seat and Jeno's eyes flickered over to her- leaning over wordlessly and his chin at level of her lips when he grabbed her seat belt and put it across her body.

He leaned back like nothing happened, starting the engine unaware of the girl who was speechless, unsure of what to say and unexpectedly her heart began to beat faster.

What?

She shook it off, looking out of the window as Jeno began to drive without a word, the sun was beaming down on them and she squinted at the intensity of it.

The air was awkward and the girl shifted, leaning forward to put on the radio and his eyes trailed over to her.
His elbow rested next to the window, head in hand as he steered with one hand effortlessly.

"Good afternoon all, the police are still attempting to find the the person who started the fire in the border town of Aurelia and Cerulean. Witnesses say most of the civilians died unfortunately in their houses-"

Heejin switched it off immediately, swallowing the dryness in her throat and blinked away her tears- rigid in her seat.

Her parents.