010

on the Falcon...

Aside from whatever it was Leia had mumbled under her breath when she first pulled the two of them on board, the princess hadn't really given Avery much attention

Aside from whatever it was Leia had mumbled under her breath when she first pulled the two of them on board, the princess hadn't really given Avery much attention. She embraced Luke warmly, standing on her toes to rest her head on his shoulder. Although Avery didn't really get the impression that the two of them shared romantic feelings, the scene still managed to irritate her. Leia's eyes fluttered open, and their gazes locked momentarily. She cleared her throat and pulled away from the hug.

"So, you must be Luke's friend from Earth. Would you like to discuss how you can help the Alliance?" she asked, her tone sounding rushed.

"I mean, I guess. I don't really know much about what's going on—"

Before she could finish her brief confession of ignorance, the floor beneath her feet began to shake wildly.

"I better go help Chewie get this piece of junk into hyperspace. We can talk more later," Leia declared before walking off.

Avery's stomach seemed to turn in on itself, the realization of flying in space just sinking in. Luke appeared to pick up on her uneasiness rather quickly. He led her into an open room with a curved seat pressed against the wall. An odd-looking table was rooted in the middle.

"This is the main hold. Want me to teach you how to play dejarik?" he asked her, motioning to the table.

"No, but thank you," she whispered. "I think I'm gonna be sick."

After a split second of confusion, Luke seemed to finally understand.

"Would you rather sit here," he asked, motioning to the seat and ghosting his fingertips along her arm in the process, "or do you need to lie down?"

"I should be alright just to sit," she told him.

He nodded and sat down beside of her. Suddenly, he seemed to have an idea and brought his legs up onto the seat, crossing them. He then reached for her and snaked an arm around her waist, pulling her into his side. She was too surprised to flinch away— or that's what she told herself, at least.

"What are you doing?" she hissed, squirming slightly.

"There's going to be a kick when we first switch to hyperspace. It would actually be ideal for us to sit in the cockpit, but I don't want a million stars zooming by to freak you out," he explained casually.

"I wanna see a million stars zooming by," she sighed.

"I thought you were gonna be sick?"

"Well, yeah, but being sick seems worth it if I get to see space."

Luke hummed thoughtfully, Avery subconsciously leaning into his touch.

"We can go sit in the cockpit when we fully complete the jump," he decided. "This is a pretty long trip, so we should have plenty of time to look at the stars. Once we get to where I know where we're at, I'll even tell you the different planets."