Chapter 21: Shiznit!

Chapter 21:
Shiznit!

First day of college.

The day has finally showed its face, but somehow I am not as excited as I had been since graduation day. All the eagerness to enter the doors of UCLA, to breathe in its atmosphere, and to grace it with my presence, just vanished the moment I heard the trill sound of my alarm an hour ago.

Maybe I am anxious.

Yeah that's it. Anxiety.

I'm nervous too. I am anxious and nervous that once I walk through those doors I'll be opening the doors to heartbreak again, like I did last year. It worries me that history might repeat itself and I might find myself tangled in a web of affliction once more. The thought of meeting new people and forming new friendships increases the potential of more people letting you down when you thought you could depend on them. There is a higher chance of betrayal because of either trusting too much or trusting the wrong people.

Stop the overthinking, Hailey!

I groan at how I am only overreacting instead of letting go of the past and moving on. I continue to munch on my Coco Pops while listening to Let It Go by James Bay. My phone then beeps and the screen lights up upon receiving the notification.

From: Sam

Come downstairs. I'm waiting for you :)

I completely forgot that Sam and I exchanged numbers the day we had all been at Tristan's house. She asked for them before I left and although I was a bit hesitant on giving them, I gave in.

To: Sam

Give me 5 minutes:)

I reply to her text and grab my bowl of cereal before placing it in the kitchen sink. Then I hurry up to my room to check my appearance, spray on some perfume, and grab my bag with all the things I need.

Next thing I grab my phone where I left it on the kitchen island before grabbing my apartment keys and bolting out of the apartment. After three flights down the stairs, I notice Sam's blue Ford Fiesta instead of Tristan's red Mercedes.

I open the passenger door and throw myself on the seat. "Hey, Sam!" I greet before plugging in my seat belt.

"Hey!" She greets with a bright grin. "I can't believe this day has arrived." She sparks up a conversation from the get go and starts driving. "I can't wait for you to meet some of my friends. You gonna get a long so well just like you and I!" She says excitedly.

"Let's not get ahead of ourselves now," I chuckle at her fan girl behavior. "They might not like me as much as you do."

"Of course they will," she takes her eyes of the road for two seconds to stare at me. "You're lovable." She smiles genuinely. "And pretty," she adds.

"Thanks for those compliments, but we'll see as the days go by."

She shrugs.

The ride to the university is shorter than I expected with being only about five minutes from my apartment. To say I've calmed down a bit would be the lie of the century. In fact, my nerves are now skyrocketing, sending my blood swimming through my veins at high speed and causing my heart to pump faster.

"Ready?" Sam asks me right after she parks her car in the school's parking lot.

"I guess," I shrug nonchalantly trying to keep my cool.