Chapter Forty Two

She wasn't going to live.

I knew that much the moment the dagger hit her chest.

Straight in the heart.

I ran over, tears beginning to quickly flow from my eyes. I jumped up, cutting the rope and grabbing Verity, lowering her down onto the ground. I spared a moment, doing the same thing with Haven and Faith.

I propped Verity up against the back of the wall, slowly sliding the dagger out and placing my hand on top of the wound, desperately trying to slow the flow of blood.

"We don't have time for a doctor," Verity croaked, "It's already over for me."

I shook my head, "It isn't, not yet."

Verity placed her hand on mine, and I looked up to meet her gaze. She was so kind, so kind to me, and had no problem in helping me in the beginning.

She didn't deserve to die.

"Yes. It is." Verity said, her voice a little firmer this time. "Make a change in our world Elora, I know you can."

I could hear something, another dagger slicing through the wind.

Verity pulled her arm out and shoved me down onto my side, the dagger landing straight in her forehead. The force pulled her back, lodging the tip of the dagger into the wood.

She was dead in an instant.

I pulled myself up, "No, no, no, no," I shoved my fingers to her neck, desperately trying to find something. I went down to her wrist, nothing there either.

She was gone, her soul already having departed her body. Guilt stabbed at me, was this my fault? Why were they taken? Why were they even here? I had a million questions and I could not focus on any of them because one of my closest friends had just died. My tears didn't stop, cascading down my face as her body stayed completely still. It was over, but I knew, I knew, that Verity wouldn't want me just lying here uselessly. So I closed my eyes and muttered a prayer, a prayer for her soul, and a prayer of thanks. 

"Go, "I whispered breathlessly to both Haven and Faith, "You need to go. Find some place to hide, this will be over soon. I'll make sure of it."

I staggered on to my feet, not checking to see if they had listened to what I said. 

I had a job to do. 

I ran forward, placing my foot on the edge of the fountain and jumping up, wrapping my palm around Das's ankle. He hadn't been paying attention to me and came crashing to the floor. It didn't seem to disorient him for nearly as long as I needed. He jumped up immediately and began slashing his long angled sword that had been previously hanging on his hip.

I was on my feet too, the small blade of my dagger feeling useless against his sword.  But I persisted, swinging my blade with as much force as I could muster.

In hope that it would work, I lifted my leg, swinging it fiercely as it landed in Das's face. He staggered back, which gave me just enough time to launch my dagger into his kidney, he called out in pain as he went falling to the floor.

I pulled my dagger out and held it against his neck and I pinned him down onto the floor.

"Call off your troops." I pulled the dagger in a little tighter, "Call them in right now or so help me, goddess, I will kill you right now."

"You're calling a bluff," He wheezed, a murderous glint flashing in his eye.

"I killed Belial," I whispered in his ear, feeling his whole body freeze up, "Still willing to take that chance?"