𝙭𝙫𝙞𝙞. the bitter taste of honey

chapter seventeenthe bitter taste of honey

chapter seventeen
the bitter taste of honey

☼ ☽

          No living, breathing creature can exist sanely for long without an escape from reality; no live organism is capable of living in a world without dreams

          No living, breathing creature can exist sanely for long without an escape from reality; no live organism is capable of living in a world without dreams. It's why the human brain is so keen on horror movies. It's a feeling of emotional regulation. When you watch a horror movie, you are in control of the situation. Nothing bad can happen to you from behind a screen. It's a nightmare happening before your very eyes, but it can't touch you. There is no way it can hurt you and that entices the human brain . . . which overpowers the feeling of fear. It distracts you from reality. It's a nightmare that ends.

The Well House on Neibolt street was the exception.

It was a nightmare in itself like any other thing depicted in horror . . . except its hauntings were continuous. The Well House was eternal. It was not sane. It was built without kindness. Its floorboards were nailed together with force, not a gentle touch. It was never meant to be lived in nor cared for; it was only meant to be feared.

But the Well House was different from the horror movies Jill Samson loved to watch. It was a monster with skin and bones and a face like any other sane creature, but it was not what it seemed. Where other creatures slept, the Well House laid awake at night and watched the streets for its prey. It was always hungry, its stomach growling for another warm body to sink its teeth into and devour. It fed off of the fear and pain of Derry's townspeople. There was no safe with the Well House still standing tall; the screams of the forgotten stayed trapped inside the creaky floorboards, and it would stay that way until someone brave enough dared to step past the threshold and welcome the screams.

The Losers' Club, though not brave enough on their own, dared to be the first to challenge the house. Each of them knew the monster awaiting them and the risks they were taking, but this was just something they had to do. This was their monster; their personal horror movie that they couldn't escape until they put an end to it. And each of them was willing to risk the chance of being swallowed whole by the monster if it meant they could save one of their own and put an end to the horror.