seven

Calanthe led Geralt and Beryl to the dungeons

Calanthe led Geralt and Beryl to the dungeons. The hallways were dark with yellow lighting.

"He came to us in the waters - bloody and near-death," she explained. "We've never encountered a merman before. How were we to know he wasn't dangerous? He's been kept in the dungeons since then."

"Fed?" Beryl asked.

Calanthe haughtily laughed. "I didn't believe the rumors of human flesh being their main food, until he nearly ate a guard whole. I debated killing him, but something stopped me. Suppose it's destiny, after all. Here he is." Calanthe unlocked the cell.

Beryl stepped in and dove for the man in front of her. She cried, hugging him as tightly as she could.

"Kori," she cried.

"Princess Beryl," he whispered. "Thank Poseidon you're alive."

She let go and looked at his face, wiping the dirt off his face with her sleeve. "The others?"

"Scattered," he informed. "A thunderstorm separated us. We can only hope they haven't been poached by humans or found by the sirens."

"I see." She stood up and addressed Calanthe in a bow. "Thank you, Your Majesty. You have no idea how much this means to me. If it's no trouble, may we talk in a more suitable room?"

"Of course."

"Geralt, please take Kori back to the inn. I'll join you once I've finished my business with the Queen," commanded Beryl.

"Wait a min - "

"Geralt."

She looked at him. Her eyes were no longer kind and inviting. She was demanding him to listen to her. Those were the eyes of a Queen in the making.

He grunted. "Fine." He walked over to Kori and picked the locks of the shackles, then helped him up.

"Your Majesty?" asked Calanthe.

Calanthe, impressed by the authority she had over Geralt, nodded. "Of course, Queen Beryl, let us be on our way. I'll take you to the study."