eight

Once in the study, Beryl wasted no time getting straight to the point

"I thank you for informing me of the merman you captured. I realize that should cover the so-called debt Lord Urcheon wished to repay me, but..." Beryl got on her knees and lowered her head. "I require resources to drive the sirens away. I realize it is much to ask for. Fiopha never allowed outsiders in and my father - the late king - made sure of that. I am asking you now, Lioness Queen, for help in killing these creatures."

"Are you not a creature yourself?" Calanthe asked.

"I am. You're correct. But are humans not monsters?" Beryl retorted, looking up at Calanthe. "If us creatures had been the ones to rule this land, and humans were the ones terrorizing us, would we not call you creatures?"

Calanthe laughed. "Stand up."

Beryl did as she commanded.

"You remind me of myself, except you haven't won a war - yet," said Calanthe.

"That means - "

"I will send warriors to Fiopha - myself included. I'd like to fight one of these sirens," Calanthe informed.

"They're very dangerous," Beryl warned. "I'll travel this continent, searching the waters and land for my people. In two years time, I will come back with more of my people and we will go to war with the sirens."

Calanthe laughed. "I like you, Queen Beryl. I see the fire in your eyes and the darkness in your heart. It's exactly what you need for war."

"My people have died once. We will not die again. I won't allow it. Even if the darkness swallows me whole, I will not fight it for the sake of my people."

"I never thought I'd side myself with a creature, but it is done, Queen Beryl. Since you owe me now, I want one thing - for you to protect my future grandchild should anything happen. Because of The Witcher, I am thrust into more royal drama."

Beryl nodded. "It is done."