Shackled Eagle

~Baby can I stay a while? It's hard to say goodbye when I'm leaving~ Khalid

Chapter Theme Song: 'Stay' by Khalid

A/N: Swipe left for the song audio :)

°°

Rainey

They say that ′it's the little things that matter'. Well, I can't say I don't believe that.

Sitting around a dining table with Ansel's family makes me realize what I've been missing out on. The shared laughter among them, the unity and the bond; it's something I've always wanted. Mr. Austin is telling the table about an embarrassing story about Aiden, and everyone is laughing. Genuine laughter.

Ansel's twin brothers are nineteen years of age, and they attend a university a few miles away from here; their parents couldn't afford to enroll them into one of the highly talked-about prestigious institutions. They are identical, so it's quite difficult to differentiate between them; however, Aiden has a beauty mark close to his nose and Arden doesn't. I guess that's something that can be of aid.

Alex attends Crossview High School, which is where Ansel attended first, but only spent a term before he was awarded a scholarship to Crosshill High due to his brilliant academics.

Their family may not be of high-class, but the relationship they share among themselves is priceless.

Ansel's laughing at his Dad's storytelling. His eyes drift to me in the process, and he studies my distant expression. He reaches his hand out and touches my arm under the table.

I bring my eyes to look at him.

"You okay?" He whispers.

I nod a little, realizing I was spacing out for longer than I thought. I resume eating the home-cooked meal that Melissa prepared. Ansel was right; she is quite a good cook. I can't recall the last time I've had something this delicious.

I like being here around Ansel's family. It's not one of those awkward dinners where the parents ask you about your future ambitions and aspirations. It's more comfortable as if they've known you all their life and don't feel the need to interrogate.

"Wow, you're almost through with your food, Rain. Would you like some more?" Melissa asks, offering a pleasant smile.

"Uh, yeah...thank you."

She reaches for my plate willingly and gets up to head to the kitchen.

"Where's Alaric? He should be home by now." Mr. Austin says, checking the watch on his wrist.

Alaric? I hear that name quite often.

Arden shrugs, shoving a forkful of vegetables in his mouth. "Probably out with some girl," he muffles.

"Dude." Alex shoots his brother a look. "You better not say that around Sam."

"Yeah, watch your mouth, Arden," Ansel agrees, pointing his gaze to his brother who just frowns.

"But it's facts, even Sam knows it. The entire neighborhood does."

The front door to the house opens, and heavy footsteps make their way in before the door slams close again.