Part 7

"Christopherus!" Jayne shrieked, "What are you doing here?"

"I live here?" He shrugged his shoulders, "I should be the one asking you why you're here, did you change your mind about the prince's request?"

"NO!" Jayne shrieked. Then covered her mouth, hoping that no one heard her, "Just- I just,  I was just leaving, okay, do not tell the prince I was here, okay, I did not come for him."

"Okay." He placed his hands on his hips, "I won't if you tell me why you're here."

Jayne sighed and looked up to the full moon, "I-" Her right leg started tapping incessantly, "I heard that a dear friend of mine... had a terminal illness, and, and I, I couldn't not just show up. If he had died before I'd seen him, my heart would've broken." Her voice faltered, every word became shakier than the last, tears ran down her face, "I never got a proper goodbye because if I did, I knew he would convince me to stay." She sniffed, her nose becoming red.

Christpoherus wasn't too sure what to do why the crying girl, he stood there, baffled, "I see..." He gingerly took a step forward, "Well..."  His face visibly contorted as he didn't know how to comfort her, causing Jayne to chuckle

"It's okay, he's going to be fine, so there's no need to worry." Jayne started to make her way to jump over the gate.

"Jayne, I can open the gate if you want."

Jayne was already midway climbing, a ting of embarrassment flooded her body as she was frozen like a lizard. "That might be nice."  She jumped off.

Chris sighed and moved with a key.

"You just carry that with you?"

"Why do you think I was out here?" He unlocked the door, "I'm going into town, do you need a lift?" Jayne hummed, "Well, it's just a long walk down, it'd be quicker on a horse."

"You think I walked all the way from Phaecia to Telepylus?"

Chris laughed dishearteningly, "Okay" He walked away.

"Wait!" Jayne marched towards him.

"Yes?"

"My horse... ran away."

"He ran away?" He raised a brow.

"I forgot to tie him up when I came here, don't look at me like that."

He scoffed in amusement, "I can give you a ride to the bottom if you want."

"I'd think I'd rather just steal another horse."

Chris glared at her.

"I'm joking, I'm joking." She put her arms up in surrender, "Actually I'm not, I didn't bring any money with me so I can't buy my transportation." Jayne was ready to speed off to the stables.

"Jayne, I can give you a horse if you want."

Jayne slid towards him, "Can you now?"

"Yeah, I mean the price of a donkey is really cheap."

"A donkey!?" Jayne spat, "Who do I look like, Jesus?"

"Who's Jesus?"

"He's- never mind, surely you can afford a horse."

"I can, I just don't want to spend that kind of money on you."

Jayne scowled and marched to push him, "You're not funny Christopher."

Chris ran a couple of  feet to put some distance between them, walking towards the mini stable that was near the gate, "I'm not that well off you know, my horse and my uniform were given to me free, as well as accommodation and food."