Snowflakes and Icicles

The coroner zipped up the black bag, covering young Sarah's pale green and blotchy skin. Her eyes were peacefully closed, and if it hadn't been for the oddity of her appearance you might have assumed she was sleeping – that she was going to wake eventually.

That, of course, wasn't the case. Her suffering had ended. Something that Anna was eternally grateful for. There was sorrow, but there was also relief now. A feeling that she didn't expect would enter her mind.

Newt grasped at her shoulder, offering a handkerchief to the silent tears that left her eyes.

She held her head high as the gurney wheeled down the hallway and towards the morgue. Sarah would not have wanted this to be a moment of despair.

She was with her mother now.

Anna sniffed and clutched at her chest, offering Newt his handkerchief back, but he refused, "You keep it."

"Thank you," her voice was thick. "I think I'm in shock; I thought I would be completely distraught over this."

Newt smiled sympathetically and ran his hand from her shoulder down to her hand, holding a few fingers loosely, "You're very strong, Anna. You're not the same as you were a month ago."

"I'd have to blame some of that on you, Newton."

Soren budged his way to the couple, Newt immediately dropping Anna's hand. Soren took his place, drawing her close to him in a hug, shamelessly glaring at Newt from her shoulder.

"You doing alright? I mean, of course you're not, but you're handling this better than I expected."

"I'm just as surprised," she smiled through glassy eyes. "It's dreadful, but we were able to give her care enough that she'd pass without too much pain and with respect. I'm sure her mother is grateful and elated to have her back."

From behind her, Newt stuck his hands in his pockets, smiling at her – hot and welcoming admiration filled his chest, purring with temptation. Soren caught his expression and cleared his throat.

"I'll take you out for lunch today instead of the cafeteria. We can go to that sandwich place you love!" he had a sort of desperate look on his face. "We can go pick carnations at the flower shop and maybe get a bouquet for Sarah."

Adelaide closed her eyes at his suggestion, finding her hand creep up and grasp the gold locket around her neck, "Thank you, Soren. But I think I need to be alone for a while. Abasi already came to me and gave me permission to go home. I need..."

"Understandable," Soren rushed out, his fists clenching at his sides. "We'll take a rain check – we can go out another day."

She smiled at him, but he let his face fall, turning on his heel and leaving quickly. Anna watched him quizzically as he left, sighing through her nose, but going to face Newt.

"I need to go home."

Newt nodded harder than was necessary, lifting his left arm before wincing at the tenderness; he chose to place his right arm to the small of her back, leading her to a designated spot where apparition was possible.

"Do you want me to go with you?"

She smiled graciously toward him and felt the tears returning to her eyes, "No. I need to be alone for a moment, if that's alright. Maybe I'll see you tonight."

He strained a slight grin before nodding and turning his eyes to the floor, letting his hair fall. She loved when he did that.

Feeling that he needed to know that she was still functioning, she clutched at his arm, making him look up. She placed a hand to the side of his head and rubbed her thumb across his cheekbone, smiling.