50. A Friend In Need

Scarlet

It had been half an hour since I was sitting in the parking lot of the hospital, crying over the situation that had slipped out of my hands. Cara was in terrible condition and Evan had clearly said he wanted me away. The man that I had fallen in love with, just made me a stranger with his few words.

What hurt me was when he said that Cara wasn't my daughter, that's why I was irresponsible. No, it wasn't true, not at all. Cara was my daughter. I didn't birth her but I loved her as my own. She was the most important person in my life and Evan's words couldn't change that.

I was trying to call Liam but he wasn't answering. I had no idea where to go at that time of the night. I couldn't go back inside, even though I was dying to. I couldn't go back to Evan's house because he clearly wouldn't want me there. I didn't have an apartment of my own. I was helpless right now.

"Scarlet?" A familiar voice entered my ears and I lifted my head. Familiar light blue eyes appeared in front of me, staring down at me with worry. "What are you doing here? Where is Cara?"

"She... She is in the ICU." I replied, wiping the tears off my face. "What are you doing here, Nate?"

"I was in city for a project. I arrived as soon as I got the news." He said in worry.

"The surgery went fine but the doctors said they can't say anything until she is awake." I told him. "They won't let you meet her. Her body is under a lot of stress right now."

Hearing this, he sat down beside me and let out a distressed sigh. "She is so little, Scarlet. Tell me she would be fine."

"She would be. She is a tough girl." I said, consoling him and more importantly, myself.

"What are you doing here? You should go home and take rest. You look really exhausted." He asked, observing me carefully.

With that, tears flooded out of my eyes and I hid my face in between my palms. "I don't know what to do, Nate. I don't know. I swear I would never do that intentionally. If I knew, I would have never answered the call. I told her to stay beside me... I don't know when she ran to the road..." I was sobbing uncontrollably, saying few words between each hiccup.

"Hey... Hey... It's okay." He said and pulled me towards himself for a hug. "I know you would never do that intentionally. It was an accident." He said and rubbed my back. I hid my face in his chest and cried with hiccups. It felt like a dam had broken and the tears weren't going back anytime soon.

"Evan... He doesn't want me... around his family. He hates me... He thinks... I wasn't a good mother... to Cara." I told him because in that moment, he felt like the only person ready to listen to me. "She is my daughter, Nate. I love her so much."

"I know, Scarlet. I know," he patted my back and let me cry. "He must be afraid for her. Don't take him seriously."

"I don't know what to do now. I can't go in. I can't go to his house. Hell, even my friend isn't answering. What should I do now?" I asked him helplessly because I was afraid at that moment. Afraid of losing everything I had with one mistake.

He separated from me and then said, "Come on, you are going with me. I can't let you stay in the parking lot. I have rented an apartment here. You can stay there until this issue is sorted out."

"No. I appreciate the offer but I can't..."

"Scarlet please. Remember you once told me that this city isn't safe to stay alone so I should stay with you. That's what I'm saying. Come on, consider me your friend. Let me return your favour." He said, sincerity clear in his eyes.

"But..."

"You look really tired. You clearly need some rest." He suggested. "Please,"

"Fine." I mumbled under my breath.

"I'll go talk to Catheryn about Cara and then I'll be back in few minutes. Wait for me in my car." He said and chucked his car keys towards me. Nodding, I stood up and with slow steps, walked towards his car.

...........

Nate's apartment was 15 minutes away from the hospital. He lived at the 34th floor of a tall building that looked like something not everyone could afford. The apartment was quite large for one man, and the grey colour scheme screamed of sophistication.

As soon as we entered inside, I flopped down on the couch and once again, Cara's worry filled my mind. Until I hear that she was out of danger, I would stay restless for her. Nate went and brought a glass of water for me, that helped me calm down just a little.

"This door leads to the guest room. You can stay here as long as you want." He pointed towards a white door at one side of the lounge. He then pointed towards the other similar door at the other end of the lounge. "That one is mine. I'll be there if you need anything."

"Thank you so much, Nate." I managed to smile a little.

"It's okay. And don't worry, Cara would be alright. She has survived so much in her life. This accident is nothing for her." He said, sitting opposite to me.

I nodded and then gathering all the courage, I silently trudged into the guest room. Without turning on the lights, I collapsed on the bed and took some deep breaths. My mind was in a haywire and I needed some rest. My whole body was exhausted but sleep was the last thing on my mind.

I was engrossed in the thoughts of events of today when my phone started ringing. It was Catheryn calling. I answered the phone and listened to her tired voice. "I am sorry, Scarlet. Evan isn't in his right mind at this moment."

"I understand Catheryn. Just keep me updated about Cara." I told her.

"I will. Nate told me that he was taking you to his apartment." She said and the concern was apparent in her voice. Evan wouldn't approve of me going with Nate but what else could I do?

"Yeah, but don't tell Evan. He is already really stressed." I said and yawned.

"Okay. Take care of yourself. And once again, I'm sorry. You didn't deserve those words." She sounded really apologetic.

"I'll be fine." I smiled feebly and then cut the call. Somewhere as the time passed, sleep overpowered me and the thoughts in my mind started to clear up. The last face on my mind was that of Cara because I finally dozed off.

______________________________