13 | Pen

Later that afternoon, gentle sun rays shone between the blinds, warming the spacious living room as Shoto's sister and you sat on the floor. With various textbooks sprawled on the table, you gave one another read. "I'm sorry for wasting your time, Fuyumi."

"Not at all, (y/n). I wish I could be of more help. It's been a while since I did this kind of thing." She ran a hand through her white hair. She then heard some footsteps approaching the both of you. "I bet Natsuo could help. He was pretty good at maths in high school. Natsuo?"

"Yeah?" He said, walking into the room as he put on a denim jacket. "I'm heading out now. Do you need anything?"

Fuyumi tilted her head before crossing her arms. "Eh? Didn't dad say you're not allowed out with your college friends today?"

"He's a--" Natsuo stopped right on his tracks and adjusted his cuffs, preventing himself from slagging off Endeavor in front of you. "I don't care about what he thinks. You know that, Fuyumi."

As Natsuo headed out of the living room, so did the last hope of finishing the maths homework in time. Or at least, that's what you thought. Fuyumi's eyes brightened. "How about you ask Shoto? He is in the same class as you, after all."

"Um, I'm not so sure about that, Fuyumi. I'm not sure if Shoto would like to help..."

"Help what?" His soft, masculine voice sent shivers down your spine.

Before you could dismiss what you had just said, Fuyumi explained your predicament. Shoto stood by the table for a few moments, with a rather blank expression. When he reluctantly agreed to help you, you cleared some sheets of paper off the table and dug out the maths handout.

"I've still got some marking left to do. Is it okay if I leave you both to it?" Fuyumi said.

Shoto shrugged his shoulders as he took a seat next to you. "I guess it is."

He sat close to you, both your legs almost coming into contact under the table. You redid the exercise in front of him, hoping that as this was the tenth time you tried, it would work out. Needless to say, it didn't. Even worse, your pen ran out as you doodled on the page, deep in thought.

"You know, you're not doing it right, (y/n)."

"Yeah, I got that much by now. Are you okay with teaching me?"

"You need a new pen first." He grabbed Fuyumi's pencil case, as she'd left it on the table, his arm brushing against yours. Shoto then fished out a pen, which had a cute panda on its end, and handed it to you.

Unsure of how to act as you suspected that he didn't like you in the least, you settled for just being yourself. You took a deep breath in before saying, "Thanks, Shoto."

"How about you thank me once I teach you something? It's not as if I've done anything yet." Shoto gave you a once-over.

You flinched at his tactless remark, but soon brushed it off and blamed his usual brutal honesty. "I can do that, too. Thank you."

Shaking his head sideways, Shoto pressed his lips into a grim line to hold back that strange urge to smile. He reached out for a fresh sheet of paper. "So you make a habit out of thanking me, is that it?"