Chapter 3

After the day I had, all I could think about was having a glass of red wine and soaking in my tub.

I have been to this store numerous times so I knew exactly where  I was headed.

I saw only one left of my favorite brand of red wine and as I went to reach for it, another hand beat me to it. I looked at the mysterious hand and followed up it's arm shocked to  see who it belonged to. Jermaine.

"Fancy seeing you here."

"Really?" I laughed at his choice of words.

"Wow I actually earned a laugh from you." He said.

I laughed again. "Sorry I know you probably don't see much of my kind side when I'm around Erica." I said honestly.

"Yea she does kind of bring out the worse in people." He replied earning an agreeing nod from me.

'Here." Jermaine said extending the wine towards me.

"No you had it first go ahead. "

"Nah, I changed my mind. I need something a little stronger.

"Tough day?" I asked.

"The toughest. Now I have to go home and deal with--." He stopped mid-sentence.

I looked at him for a minute. He didn't have to finish. I knew what he wanted to say even if he didn't continue. It was no secret that Erica was a bitch. I could only imagine how it must be to be married to her. A total nightmare.

I was knocked out of my thoughts by Jermaine saying something.

"I'm sorry I didn't hear you. Could you repeat that?" I asked.

"I was saying maybe we should exchange numbers."

"Ummm that may not be appropriate." I said a little unsure.

"It's harmless really. You are my wife's sister after all. An emergency may come up and I would have no way to reach you."

"I guess that is true." I said taking out my phone and handing it to him.

"Well let me get home before your sister starts blowing up my phone."

"Ok, well thanks again for letting me have the wine. I really appreciate it." I said truthfully.

"No problem. Anything for my sister in law."

"Well thanks again, I will see you later." I said as I began to walk off.

"Don't act like a stranger. Use the number. You know, for emergencies and what not."

I laughed and walked to the counter to pay for the wine so I could head home.

--

A few weeks had passed and I was kind of disappointed that I hadn't heard from Jermaine.

Is it wrong that I've been anxious to hear from my sisters' husband?

He seems like one of those people who you can sit around and talk to all day and just enjoy yourself.

It was time for our family get together again and unlike every other time, I was actually excited to go. I checked myself out in the mirror to make sure my hair and makeup was on point. I grabbed my keys and headed out the door.

When I pulled up to my parent's house, I saw Erica's car in the driveway already. What I wasn't expecting to see was Jermaine sitting outside on the porch with his head in his hands.

I walked up the driveway towards him, catching his attention.

"Hey." He said with a light smile.