Playthings

"Yeah. Okay. Thanks, Ellen." Sam said into his phone as I look at the wall in my safehouse that we decided to stay in. The wall was covered in maps, hand-written notes and missing posters showing Ava's face.

I sighed as Dean comes into the building, holding a drink carrier with our coffee. "What'd she have to say?" Dean asked Sam. "Oh, she's got nothing. We've been checking every database we can think of—federal, state, and local. No one's heard anything about Ava, she just...into thin air, you know?" Sam said as Dean hands over mine and Sam's cup of coffee.

"What about you?" I asked Dean. "No, same as before. Sorry, guys." Dean said and I look down, sadly. "Ellen did have one thing. A hotel in Cornwall, Connecticut. Two freak accidents in the past three weeks." Sam said. "Yeah? What's that have to do with Ava?" Dean asked as I give Sam a curious look.

"It's a job. I mean, a lady drowned in the bathtub; then a few days ago a guy falls down the stairs, head turns a complete one-eighty. Which isn't exactly normal, you know?" Sam said and Dean gives him a curious look. "Look, I don't know, Dean, it might be nothing, but I told Ellen we'd think about checking it out." Sam said.

"You did?" Dean asked, surprised. "Yeah. You seem surprised." Sam said, curiously. "Well yeah, it's just, you know...not the, uh, patented Sam Winchester way, is it?" Dean said and Sam gives an exasperated look towards him.

"What way is that?" He asked, mildly challenging. "I just figured after Ava there'd be, uh, you know, more angst and droopy music and staring out the rainy windows, and--" Dean said as Sam gives him a look. "Yeah, I'll shut up now." he mutters.

"Look. (Y/n) and I are the ones who told her to go back home. Now her fiancé's dead and some demon has taken her off to God knows where. You know? But we've been looking for a month now, and we've got nothing. So I'm not giving up on her, but I'm not going to let other people die either. We've got to save as many people as we can." Sam said and I give a small smile towards him.

"That was beautiful, Sammy." I said, faking tears. "Yeah, that attitude is just way too healthy for me, and I'm officially uncomfortable now. Thank you." Dean said and Sam ducks his head and laughs while I shake my head, smiling. "All right, call Ellen. Tell her we'll take it." Dean said to Sam and he nods.

We park the Impala in front of the inn, which looked like something out of a horror movie. You know the kind, the ones that look grand and beautiful and creepy all at the same time.

Dean gets out of the driver's side and looks at the building. "Dude, this is sweet. I never get to work jobs like this." Dean said. "Like what?" I asked as Sam and I get out of the car. "Old school haunted houses, you know? Fog, and secret passageways...sissy British accents. Might even run into Fred and Daphne while we're inside." Dean said then he closes his eyes briefly. "Mmm, Daphne. Love her." He said and I shake my head.

As we go up the steps, Sam notices an urn on the side of the porch. "Hey, wait a sec." He said as he inspects it more closely. "I'm not so sure haunted's the problem." Sam said. "What do you mean?" I asked him. "You see this pattern here?" He said as I come up to him and see him tapping at a five-point symbol engraved in the urn.

"That's a quincunx, that's a five-spot." Sam said. "Five-spot." Dean and I said, questioning. "Yeah." Sam replied. "That's used for hoodoo spellwork, isn't it?" I asked and Sam nods. "Right, yeah. You fill this thing with bloodweed and you've got a powerful charm to ward off enemies." Sam explains. "Yeah, except I don't see any bloodweed. Don't you think this place is a little too, uh, whitemeat for hoodoo?" Dean asked and Sam shrugs. "Maybe." He said.

As we enter, looking around at the quiet interior, a woman enters briskly. "May I help you?" She asked us. "Hi, yeah, I'd like a couple rooms for a couple of nights." Dean said to her as Sam and I move in and a little girl darts in front of our legs. "Hey!" The woman shouted at the girl then she turns to me and Sam. "Sorry about that." She said, apologetically.