008 | classroom clean-up crew

▬▬▬▬

▬▬▬▬

"DETENTION FOR A WEEK?!"

Albany shrugged nonchalantly, and the smile on her face felt permanently engraved. Truly, nothing could bring down the great triumph that had been her revenge prank, not even the wrath of the Head of Gryffindor House. Detention for a week and the loss of twenty house points was something she was all too content to put up with as payment for her victory, even though she would be serving it with the Weasley twins, who had automatically gotten the blame as well with their reputations. Their faces had been beyond priceless when they realised that they'd gotten caught up in trouble as well - a double whammy.

Arthur Pendragon had been less than impressed with the girl when he returned to find her lying in bed between classes that afternoon, smiling stupidly. She didn't say much to him at first - still a little irritated at the ghosts' disappearance the previous day - leaving him to pick up context clues himself.

Merlin pieced it together before his companion did, and while the wizard had laughed it off as a fellow Slytherin who appreciated good humour, Arthur had gone into full-blown mother hen mode. Albany wasn't aware that that had been a possible mode for the mildly stuck-up former king.

But oh, it was, and she was not about to forget it.

"Albany, this is your second detention within two weeks of being back to school! It's as if you don't care about your education-"

"The first one was not my fault," she reminded him sharply. "And I'm just having a bit of fun. I always take things seriously; just this once, can't I mess around a little?"

"And next thing you know, your grades will be slipping and your study periods will be skipped to go mess around and get into more trouble," Arthur said sternly. "What did you say you wanted to be after school? An Auror?"

Albany rolled her eyes so hard they nearly got stuck at the back of her head. "You're not my mother," she said. "Now shut up, you're ruining a great moment."

Arthur opened his mouth to continue his rant, but was stopped by Merlin's hand over his mouth. Feeling petty, he bit it, and though Albany couldn't touch the ghosts, they apparently could each other, as Merlin made a very strange noise that was an odd combination of disgust and pain.

"EUGH! Arthur, what the hell was that for?!"

"I'm trying to discipline her! How is she supposed to help us fight a war if she can't even keep out of detention?"

"She doesn't need discipline, you clotpole, she's a teenager having fun. Need I remind you what your days as a prince were like, gallivanting around the place-"

"I did not gallivant!"

"Mmm, sure, because that's what it looked like to me at the time-"