twenty-four

chapter twenty-four  - kitchen

I got up at five in the morning to make breakfast for the four of us. 

Lilian and I had to Floo to the Weasley house by 7 AM in order to make it to the Portkey in time. I knew she would want to eat, and then get ready, so I made sure I was up before even Remus. 

According to him and Sirius, Remus had expected me to still be asleep when he woke up at five-thirty because he barged into my bedroom where Sirius was getting dressed. Remus came into the kitchen with a deep scowl on his face, and I couldn't refrain from laughing at the expression he wore. 

"Since when do you get up on time?"

"Lilian and I have to be out of the house by seven, so I woke up at five to start breakfast."

"Couldn't have woke me?"

"What happened?"

"I was getting dressed!" Sirius came down the stairs, the widest smirk on his face as he came to give me a kiss. He stopped just as he reached me and looked at Remus. Instead of kissing me, the bloody git plucked a slice of bacon off of the plate beside me. I went to scold him and he smirked, "I accidentally mooned Moony."

"Why do you have to be so incessantly annoying?"

"It's more fun than being incessantly gloomy."

"Speak for yourself," I snorted. They both looked at me with their eyebrows furrowed. The smirk on Sirius' face was nowhere to be seen. I guess I shouldn't have said it. It was a joke, but I guess I understood their concern. I was a usually gloomy person, but I did lose my twin brother and my best friend, so I had a right to be gloomy. When I realized that their expressions were nearly identical, I smiled, "You two should see one another. You'd think you're twins."

"You realize the flaw in that joke, right?"

"Oh, the fact that Sirius is at least four inches shorter than you? It can happen. James was a good five or six inches taller than me."

"We aren't related, like... at all," Sirius snickered as he gently rubbed the top of my head, messing up my hair. Suddenly, he seemed to realize something, "Isn't your hair supposed to be black?"

"Naturally, yes. I've been using magic to make it a lighter color for just over six years now. I may, one day, go back to having black hair, but I kind of like the lighter color."

"It looks nice, I just never really realized it wasn't right. The first time I saw you was the first time in twelve years. I didn't have pictures or anything. I see what you meant about forgetting someone's face."

"Did either of you wake Lilian?"

Remus and Sirius looked at one another, and then at me. Based on that action alone, I knew that they hadn't. Sirius smiled sheepishly as he started up the stairs. 

That left me alone with Remus, who watched me carefully as I flipped omelets.

"So what's the real reason you were up so early?"

"I couldn't sleep. I have this really gut-wrenching feeling. I really don't think this year is going to go well."

"What do you mean?"

"Albus sent me an owl, I got it before I got in the shower last night. They're holding a Triwizard Tournament this year, Hogwarts is hosting. I hate that they're choosing to do it this year, but I am so bloody happy that the girls and Harry aren't old enough. Since it's as dangerous as it is, they've put an age requirement. You have to be seventeen."