ten

The war was beginning

The war was beginning. Cintra would sail to Fiopha with an army from Skellige. Queen Calanthe and King Eist were onboard one of the ships. Beryl and Calanthe went over a war plan themselves. Beryl advised them to shove cotton in their ears to eliminate as much of the sirens' singing as possible.

Most battle orders wouldn't be heard on the actual battlefield, so they had to make sure the soldiers knew what they were doing. Sirens were to be killed, not mer-folk. In simpler terms, the winged creatures were to be shot down.

Since the last war on Fiopha, the sirens had taken control of the island. They lounged around, dirtying it up with their disgusting manners and feathers.

Beryl waited under the deep waters with her people. The signal for them to come up was the first siren's dead body. And once they smelled the blood of a siren floating through the water, it was time.

The mer-folk dove up to the surface, attacking the first sirens they saw. Blood was spilled. Beryl couldn't keep track of which mer-folk died. Her head was turned every second of the battle. Her heart was racing quickly.

Then, she spotted the leader of the sirens. She screamed at the siren, causing the siren to spiral out of the air and tumble. Beryl jumped up and grabbed her shoulders, pushing her into the water. Beryl screamed when the siren dug into her stomach with her talons.

Beryl's hair swirled frantically around her head, blinding her for moments at a time, but she kept a firm grip on the siren. She knew that most of the sirens still wouldn't retreat once their leader was dead, but it would send a message.

The siren screeched underwater. Sirens weren't made like mer-folk. They couldn't swim or breathe underwater. Her wings were getting soaked. She couldn't fly out.

Beryl extended her nails and clawed the siren's throat repeatedly. It was overkill, but she was enraged. She needed to see the siren's lifeless body drift down to the abyss before she would be satisfied. Beryl tore off the siren's head and cradled it in her arms, watching the body drift down before swimming back up.

She held the head up high and threw it into the air as high as she could, aiming for another siren who would catch it. The siren shrieked as she held the head in her hands.

Beryl smiled, brandishing her elongated teeth stained with blood.

Sirens were falling out of the sky because of the archers on the ships. Once they fell into the water, they were good as dead.

Beryl participated in a second massacre and won the war.