Chapter 67: Blood and Madness

The traitor must die.

The words rang through my ears louder than the explosions and gunshots in the battlefield. I looked at the blade pointed at me – it was sharp and seemed to be getting sharper as the seconds passed. It was whispering to me; promising that it would take my life.

The sword was lifted high and it struck down at me like a lightning from the sky firm on its target. I had barely escaped it and rolled to the side as its blade licked my left arm. It cut on the cotton of my dress and penetrated my skin drawing a line of blood from the wound.

"What the hell are you doing? You're not even supposed to be here. It's not safe!"

She smirked and pulled the sword from being stuck on the ground. "You've become famous in the castle. Words about your heroic act are going around like a ringing bell that's irritating my ears. I had to go outside and breathe. And that moment led me into realization and decision that both brought me here."

There was madness in her eyes and the warning in my head was signalling me to be cautious around the woman.

"I'm not a traitor, Janeia. I just did what I thought was right."

Janeia laughed manically. She was holding the weapon adeptly and I realized that it was the first time I saw her holding one aside from the cup that she was about to throw at me that day. I remembered the strength she had during our confrontation in the balcony. She was a pirate after all – a beautiful and ruthless one. And she was currently aiming her sword at me.

"Aren't you going to ask me what my realization and decision are? I mean – just so you know why you have to die."

I gritted my teeth as I desperately searched for a chance to escape. "No. I still have lots of wounded fighters to help. I can't deal with you right now –"

She swung her sword skilfully and I gasped as its tip landed threateningly below my chin. "And since you insist on asking, I'm going to tell you what's on my mind." She beamed as she moved the sword and scraped my neck. I felt it bit on my skin and thin streak of blood made its way down slowly to my chest. "You're a Crimson. And no matter what you do, you can't change it unless you drain your blood in your body and die a painful death. You are with them; I know that they'll take you back. Aside from that, the Skull loves you. I am now admitting my defeat. And I know that he'll choose you to be on his side when the time comes for him to rule the land. When this war ends, whether whose side wins, you'll survive. So do you think that I'll just stay and wait inside the castle knowing that a filthy blood like you will be the only absolute thing standing at the end?"

Fear. That was what I felt at that moment. My blood ran cold as I stared at her. She was determined to do what she's about to do. And she firmly believed that what she was about to do was right. And that made her the most dangerous person for me to be around with.

"You're right. I will not allow a little wench like you to win in this war. You'll die with it; buried and forgotten just like your filthy blood."