Chapter 11

Jenna walked to the library along with Lily, Marlene, and Alice after their Charms' lesson was over.

     Alice came quietly, but Lily had to put extra effort to drag Jenna and Marlene there so the four could study Herbology together.

     "But I don't want to study! What's it to me if the Fanged Geraniums are used in strength potion or not!?" Marlene groaned desperately. "I want to go to the Great Hall! They must be serving pudding by now!"

     Lily rolled her eyes, yet kept on walking. "Marlene, there's so much more to life than just eating and napping!"

     "I beg you to differ." said Marlene grumpily, folding her arms.

    When they reached the library however, the bickering stopped immediately as they spotted Remus, studying alone in a corner.

     The three girls turned their heads on Jenna who looked like she had been petrified, her eyes fixed on Remus.

     "Go talk to him!" Lily encouraged in a whisper.

     "No," Jenna shook her head furiously. "I don't want to disturb his peace. He looks like such a... lone wolf."

     "Yeah." Marlene nodded. "I don't get why he hangs around with Potter and Black."

     "True," said Jenna, a smile creeping through her face.

     "Oh, I just remembered!" Marlene said out of the blue.

     "Remembered what?" Jenna asked.

     "That you got me in detention for something you'd done?" Marlene reminded her with a grin.

     "Oh, no." Jenna's face fell in horror. "What are you gonna do?"

     "You said you didn't want to talk to Remus, huh?"

     Jenna groaned. "Marlene, please don't do anything stupid."

     "Bitch, I invented stupid." and so with a smirk on her lips Marlene yelled out, "HEY, REMUS!"

     "Oh, crap." Jenna muttered to herself as Remus turned his head around and smiled weakly, waving at them.

     "All yours, buddy." said Marlene with a grin, clapping a hand on Jenna's back.

     Gulping, Jenna finally stepped towards Remus hesitantly while Lily and Marlene looked at them with both excitement and anxiousness. Meanwhile, Alice had taken the seat by the window, gazing outside.

     "Hey, Remus." Jenna smiled. "May I?" She gestured at the chair beside him and Remus nodded brightly.

     "What's up?" said Remus, and just then Jenna realized she had absolutely no idea what she was going to say to him to start a conversation.

     "Uhh... so... it's the Slug Club dinner party tonight." she said the first thing that came to her mind.

     He's not invited, you dung-brain! Jenna thought to herself furiously.

     "Yeah, well. I'm not really a potion brewer." Remus shrugged. "It's actually the only class I'm really worried about for the OWLs."

     "The only class you're worried about? Woah, someone's been studying." Jenna giggled goofily, but quickly came to regret saying such a stupid thing.

     "How about yourself? You and James never seem to study yet neither of you have problems in classes." Remus reasoned.

     "Well, that's not true," Jenna argued. "I'm crap at Ancient Ruins."

     "That's because you don't even have Ancient Ruins as one of your classes." Remus chuckled. "Don't underestimate yourself, Jenna. You're amazing." Jenna felt her face flush and when Remus realized what he had just said, he quickly cleared his throat. "I mean... uh... you and James both. But I'm hopeless. I haven't even dared to start our Draught of Peace assignment."

     "I can help you with that." Jenna said before she could stop the words leaving her mouth.

      "Wow, thanks, Jenna." Remus smiled happily at her. "When do you wanna meet up?"

     "Uh... well now I promised the girls that we would study Herbology together and tonight's the Slug Club," said Jenna. "But how about tomorrow after our Quidditch practice? It ends at five. We can meet up at six."

     "Sounds great." Remus nodded. "Where?"

     "Um... I was thinking somewhere quiet?" Jenna suggested. "In other words, somewhere James and Sirius wouldn't be there. Somewhere we both know those two would never pass even if their lives depended on it."

     "So the library?"

     "Yup."

***

"Ugh! Why did I have to say that!" Jenna groaned into her pillow that night in their dorm.

     "What are you so sad about?" said Lily. "You're gonna spend time with him! Isn't that what you want?"

     "Yeah..." Jenna sat up straight. "But – but what if I say something stupid?"

     "Who are you?" Marlene narrowed her eyes at Jenna. "I don't think I've ever seen you like this, Jen. So... awkward."

     "Yeah, well," Jenna shrugged. "This is how I am; single, and ready to get awkward and uncomfortable around whoever I find interesting."

     "Alright, I'm ready." Lily said at last, throwing one last look in the mirror. "Let's get going, Jen. We don't want to be late."

     Jenna huffed grumpily to herself, standing up from the bed. "I don't even know why I'm going to this thing! It's lame!"

     "Bye, guys!" Lily ignored Jenna's remark and waved over at Alice who was sitting by the dorm's window as she did her homework, and Marlene who was laying on her bed and holding her pillow like it was a teddybear.

     "Who else is going to be there, anyway?" Jenna asked Lily as they were making their way towards Slughorn's office.

     "I only know that Gwenog Jones is going to be there." Lily answered. "That seventh year girl."

     "Gwenog Jones!?" Jenna repeated in shock. "She's the captain on Hufflepuff's Quidditch team! They say she wants to go and try for the Holyhead Harpies team after she graduates from Hogwarts!"

     "Then she must be good." Lily mused.

     "Good?" said Jenna in disbelief. "She's brilliant! She's the reason why I'm so nervous about our match with Hufflepuff!"

     "We're here." said Lily as the two girls reached Slughorn's office. She knocked on the door and then opened it after they heard a faint 'come in'.

     "Good evening, Professor." Lily beamed as they walked in, looking at the students around the table sitting with Sughorn.

      But Jenna was frozen on the place as she spotted someone in the crowd. Someone she despised to see.

      She leaned in and whispered to Lily grimly, "What is he doing here?"