32 Bare Fangs and Brandish Claws 2/2

張牙舞爪
zhāngyá-wǔzhǎo
Bare fangs and brandish claws.
Make threatening gestures to intimidate an enemy.

*~*~*~*~*~*

Over the next few days I remained at 'Rabbit Run' with Ermi, doing little.

I kept expecting one of the men to ride into the courtyard looking for me. Zakhar, or Sanli or maybe even Zhangyu. Probably not Kageyama.

No one came however.

I quickly fell into routine with Ermi. We would rise late, as there was no class while students prepared for the end of term. We would study, or rather Ermi would study, while I would read about wild wolves and their mistresses, or whatever other romance I found stashed behind Ermi's university books on her shelves.

"You should study for our history exam Ao-jie. I was speaking with a second year the other day who said he failed it three times."

I snorted. "I have already studied plenty, princess." I had lived through most of history, and taken part in some of it.

After studying we would eat and go for a walk near Ermi's courtyard to admire the falling leaves. We would return for an early dinner, and then sit and talk and eat sweet treats late into the night with Liang'yi.

Then we would sleep, and rise the next morning to do it all over.

I enjoyed my time with Ermi. But I felt lost.

It's time to go, I thought. I had been here too long. I did not stay with the hope of reconciliation. After what had happened, I doubt Sanli still had any desire to free me of Yan's seals. He was probably afraid of what I would do if free.

I'll be stuck this way forever.

The disappointment I felt made me realize I had begun to hope, begun to believe that Sanli really could do what he said he would.

I was a fool to hope.

I had stayed with Ermi a little over five days when a runner in green livery ran into the princess's courtyard.

"The Lord Regent has returned!" The boy shouted to the courtyard outside the window. "And with him a Princess of the West! She requests permission to call upon Princess Ermi."

Outside the servants of Ermi's courtyard immediately started bustling around, making ready to receive guests of such prestige.

"I've never met another princess before," said Ermi, hurriedly closing the book she had been reading and putting it to the side. "Would you stay with me Ao-jie, when she comes? I'm too nervous."

"You have Liang'yi," I said, nodding to the rabbit, who was lounging on the sofa, dozing away a hangover.

"I'd-I'd feel better if you were here," replied Ermi.

I sighed, and debated it. I had intended to be gone by the time Sanli's older brother returned with the Western Princess, so as to avoid any contact with the tigress. But it was too late now. And I did not want to deny Ermi, not when she looked quite so pale.

I had never met Baihu's daughter, in any of my forms, so she would not know me. And Baihu rarely employed other mu'ren as guards or servants, so there was little chance of another long lived mu'ren accompanying her daughter who might know my human form.

And I doubted Baihu herself could recognize me, as I was now.

"I will stay, princess."

Ermi sighed with relief, and let her servants lead her off to her dressing room.