Chapter 25 : Surprisingly, Tea Helps

THE DUCHESS OF ARAENON. These words have been ringing on my ears ever since. Am I even qualified to be called that? I mean, the marriage was fake so technically, I can't be called a Duchess. What the hell was Exene thinking to entrust the whole city to me? 

My door burst open and two handmaidens came in, bringing a huge box. Hula ko'y damit iyon. 

"We're going to prepare the bath, Lady." 

"It's okay. I'll prepare the bath on my own. I will call you when I need anything." I said as I get off the bed. 

They just laid down the box and bowed before they left the room.  I sighed. I understand why Exene has to make me his substitute for the meantime. But to be able to trust me with this big role just means he trusts me that much. 

I let myself submerged in the water. There's this gnawing anxiousness creeping inside me. Ano ba 'tong pinasok ko? 

I heard a knock on my door kaya napagdesisyunan kong umahon na sa tubing. I put on the robe and opened the door. It was Davis. 

He gave me his usual blank stare. 

"The presence of the Duchess is requested in the dining." 

Napakunot ang noo ko sa kanya. "Why?" 

Though he didn't say it, I can clearly see on his face the words 'Don't ask'. 1o

I sighed. "Fine. I'll be there in a bit." I said and was about to close the door when he said,

"He doesn't like waiting." 

Akmang tatanungin ko na siya kung sinong tinutukoy niya but he walked away so fast. Damn. Sinong tinutukoy niya? Is it the King? 

Agad akong nag-ayos. Kung alam ko lang na ganito, Hindi ko na sana pinalabas ang dalawang babae kanina. They could've helped me fix myself. The hair would take a lot of time kaya hinayaan ko nalang iyon. 

Satisfied, I decided to go out. I trudged down the hallway with heavy steps. Did the King find out? Is he going to punish me? Of course, he will. I lied to him. I deceived him. 

The dining was quiet. There are no signs of Davis, the twins, or the King. Rather, seated on one of the chairs was an unfamiliar man. Judging from how elegant his clothes are, and the way he sips on his tea with heartbreaking grace, I can tell he's one of them: a royalty. 

Could this man be...

He noticed my presence and put down his teacup. His stare is sharp as he looked at me. I know he's examining me. I know since I do that a lot of times to my patients too. 

"I was wondering why would En need a healer when he's a doctor," he stood up and walked closer to me. I stifled a gasp when he held my hand and brought it to his lips and kissed it gently. 

"Now, I understand." He said. I don't know what he means. What should I say? I gulped and gathered myself together. I can't let him see I'm nervous as hell. I have to confirm something. 

"Your Highness," I said and did a short curtsy. 

"I didn't expect your visit." 

His sharp eyes are back on me. I've been told he's sharp and that he could tell I am lying in a glance. I won't give him the answer he's looking for. After all, Exene told me to ignore him. 

"Well, my short vacation has been...nice. And I feel bad, not able to attend my dear brother's wedding. I figure I should visit here first." The way he said those words are polite but there's something beneath it. Something calculating. He's very careful with what he says. I knew it. This man is here for something. Is he already doubting this whole set up? Just how smart is this man? He is a Crown Prince not because he is the Firstborn but because he's really smart. 

"Too bad you weren't able to catch Exene. He left yesterday. Says he has a very important business back in the palace. Did you like the tea?" I asked as we walked the hallways to the garden. 

"It was odd for him to leave his wife alone on your wedding night. And yes, those teas are personally made by you, am I right?" 

I nodded and smiled. Damn it. How he knew I made them, I don't know. 

"Well, I perfectly understand that he has his duty as the Duke. And he'll be back soon. We can have all night." 

"Of course. Is it alright if I can have some of those teas you made? Sandovian teas are really something." 

And he knows I'm from Sandovia. 

"Certainly. Can you give me a moment to prepare them for you?" 

We took a detour and trudged our way to my clinic. It was connected to the lab where I make my medicines and teas. The aroma of dried plants and fresh ones was what greeted us when we entered the room. The Prince didn't mind, though. 

"Where do you get these plants?" 

Napatingin ako sa kanya. He's looking at the dried plants hanged on the shelf near the door. 

"Exene renovated the old building at the back and made it into a greenhouse. That's where I get my plants."

"You have Sandovian ingredients?" 

"Unfortunately, no. When I first came here, I only brought with me a little satchel--" Oh crap. I talked too much. 

"Only a little satchel?" 

Shit. He's really sharp. 

"Well, do you want to have the tea you had earlier?" I turned my back on him and focused on the teas instead. Please stop asking. 

"I heard you are quite good at what you do." 

Napalingon ako sa kanya. What does he mean?

"There was a village attack recently and I heard you made ointments to treat the injured. I am amazed. If you're not tied to Exene, I would have taken you to the Palace to be a Palace healer." 

"I am flattered, Your Highness." 

"Just call me Ares," 

"And I heard some bandits are after your life too. I was wondering why would they be after an ordinary healer." 

I could feel his stare on my back. What is he getting at? I wrapped the box filled with tea bags and immediately gave it to him. I have to make this man go home. 

"They go after every woman and every kid. I am no exception, apparently. Here are your teas. I added some herbs. I also put there a list of the herbs and teas you should mix and their effects on your body--" 

"I know there's something going on between you and my brother." 

I blinked. 

"What do you mean?" 

"I'm saying that if not for the tea served to me earlier, I would have told Father about your husband and wife facade. But seeing Exene being silent about this arrangement, I'm sure he has his reasons and I respect that. You don't have to pretend in front of me. I know what's the deal between you two. In fact, I think you won't have to pretend about it anymore. I'll just be the spectator who will see this 'till the end." 

"Your Highness---I mean Ares--"

"And I am strangely in a good mood today. Good luck and congratulations." He said as he took the teas on my hands and walked outside the lab. 

What the heck was that? 

Hindi ko alam kung anong mararamdaman. He's like what they said. I won't ever make Ares Magnussen as my enemy. I can't believe he knows all that. Did he come here to confirm what he's thinking? And did I just unconsciously confirmed it? 

"Damn it," 

I muttered as I slumped on the sofa thinking about what could have happened it Ares didn't like the tea back then. Just thinking about it gives me goosebumps. 

* * *