Chapter 43: Afterglow

Hey, It's all me in my head
I'm the one who burned us down
But it's not what I meant
Sorry that I hurt you

"Aren't you going home?"

My eyes immediately glanced at the clock hanging on the wall of my office. It's already passed nine in the evening.

"Yeah," I told Sarah, one of the clerk in the office.

She smiled at me and head on her way.

Resting my back on my swivel chair, I took a deep breath as I ran my fingers through my hair. It's been a month since I took all the courage to go and see Harry to the hotel where he was staying, only to find out that he was gone. And for a month I have been living like robot. I am in this routine of waking up, go to work, spend extra hours at work, then go home, then sleep (thankful if I can find my slumber without the help of sleeping pills), then repeat.

Blake has been bugging me about it, constantly, she even suggested that I go back to Wake Forest and maybe find Harry there but the mere fact that his number no longer works is my sign not to. And I am not even sure if he still stays there, I can't even ask my mom cause it will build up so many questions and the last thing I want was to make her worry.

The look on Harry's face when he told me he is letting me go is still fresh on my mind. It haunts me everynight, and there are even times that I wake up in the middle of the night cause I dream about. And the pain is just the same. Funny, cause my goal when I started the game was to leave him heart broken, but it feels like its the other way around. At this point, I am not even asking for the pain to vanish, maybe it'll be better if my heart just gets numb, so I don't have to go through this again. I can't handle it anymore.

My mind wondered on how is he doing? Does he feel the same pain like I do? Does he cry too? Is it also too much to handle? Or does he even think of me? My heart aches even more at the thought that he didn't even tried to at least call. The Harry I knew will not stop seeking me. But why was it easy for him to give up? Why was it so easy to let go?

I found myself sobbing on my desk, the day I found out he left the hotel, I spent a week inside my room. Blake was worried but she just gave me the time to just cry everything out. I had to call in sick for a week cause I lost all my motivation to go on. Even getting off of my bed was hard for me. I couldn't eat, I couldn't sleep, water is the only that kept me alive.

Seven years ago, when I got both my heart and bones broken, I used my anger to live and move on and I did. It wasn't easy but I did. And all I wanted was for the world to see me, the brave, strong, new version of me. My anger became my motivation but why can't I do it now? Is it because Harry took all those anger when he left and all I was left was heartache?

You gotta stop this Taylor! I scold myself.

Wiping my tears and after making sure I look at the very least decent, I started fixing my things. Then I made my way out of the office. As I was passing my, the lights at Jake's office are still turned on and the door was open.

"Taylor!" He called out.

Not wanting to be rude, I stopped by at the door, "Hi!" I smiled at him.

"Do you have a minute?" He asks as he stood up from his swivel chair. "I have been to talk to you,"

Eversince the incident the night that Harry punch Jake in the face, I haven't been able to talk to him. Although, I did send an apology text.

"Yeah." I nodded as I entered his office.

He walked towards his receiving area, he motioned for me to take a seat on one the of the single couches. Jake's office is huge and very spacious, aside from the couple of paintings and plaques and plants, there is really nothing special about his office, the carpet and couch are color gray.

"I just want to see how you were doing," he asks as he sat on the center couch. "I notice that you go home late every night, is everything okay?"

Jake is a nice boss, not just to me, but to everyone. People in our office are fond of him because of his friendly personality, his good looks and the way he takes care of his employees. His utmost priority is always the safety of his people.

"I'm fine," I said.

He reached for my hand that was resting on my lap which made me slightly flinch from him but he held on it tighter.

"You can tell me if something is bothering you," he says with a concern tone.

"I-I'm just busy," I lied. "You know, I was gone for two weeks so I had so much work to do,"

He nodded. "I see." I expected him to let go of my hand, but instead he put in on his chest just like what he did the last time. "This may not be the right time but I really meant what I told you the last time. I don't know who that guy was or what was your relationship with him but I want to be with you, like officially with you, in a relationship with you, not just someone, you share a meal with, but I want to be the person you tell how's your day went," he says while looking straight to my eyes.

I can literally picture how surprised my face is, like I look like someone who was caught off guard. How can Jake decided to pour his feelings out to me at this time? Well, he doesn't know what you are going through. My subsconscious can be such a bitch sometimes.

"I am not complaining about how we are now but I have liked you the moment you stepped in this office."

One thing that I am really having a hard time doing ever since is to turn down people. I have never learned how to say no.

"Will you give me a chance? Please?"

"O-okay?"

Okay. This word always gets me in trouble. Back in highschool, this is the same exact word I used when I agreed to be in a relationship with him after we kissed in front of the whole school. And again when I got myself on that stupid game which I got myself another heartache. And I am using it again with Jake? What am I thinking? I asked myself. Well, as they say you get over a relationship by getting in a new one. My subsconscious whispered but loud enough for me to hear. I just really hope she is right this time.

Okay. So I am kinda proud of myself for being a little consistent in updating and I hope you are too. Joke!

Anyway, I hope you get to enjoy this chapter. Tell me your thoughts about it.

Don't forget to vote and comment and stay safe as always!

Lots of love
-X