Ch.31 Frozen

Chapter 31

Mavi wasn't in the mood to play Owen's game anymore. She sat on the bleachers at the back of the hall as the party and festivities were in full swing. Owen and Manya greeted pack members and shook hands with everyone. Yara followed Owen around like a lost puppy.

Mavi rolled her eyes as she watched them. Did she feel jealous? Well yes, of course. But she couldn't bring herself to stop thinking about baby Owen. What kind of father was Ivan? Owen never talked about him.....

"What are you doing here all alone?" Nate stepped in front of Mavi and blocked her view of Yara and Owen.

"Oh, hey," Mavi shook her head. "Nothing, just sitting."

"Mind if I join you?" Nate pointed to the spot next to her.

"It's a free country," Mavi shrugged.

Nate chuckled as he took a seat next to Mavi. He held out the carton of popcorn he held for her and she politely declined.

"So how do you like Juniper?" Nate asked.

"I've only been here half a week," Mavi laughed. "But I like it. It's quiet, I think I really needed that."

"You must miss the palace life," Nate assumed.

Mavi thought about his statement for a second, "No....not really. I mean I miss my family and my best friend....but not the palace."

"How come?"

Mavi didn't know how to answer his question. She wasn't in the habit of complaining about her privileged life to people who usually wish they were in her place.

"It must be awesome to have everything you want," Nate laughed. "I bet you have people do everything for you."

Mavi looked away to her feet and smiled, "Yeah, it's great."

"I'll be honest, I didn't expect you to be so down to earth," Nate confessed. "Before you came, I saw all the news about you going out partying and buying all those cool cars. I kind of jumped the gun and thought you were one of those girls."

Mavi shook her head, cringing, "Don't remind me, please."

Nate let out another hearty laugh, "You do that around here and people will be talking about you for centuries."

Just then, Mavi felt her mind-link open. Her eyes immediately went to Owen, who stood across the hall watching her over Frank's shoulder.

Radacovick 12, Princess 9

Mavi rolled her eyes. I'm not playing anymore, Owen.

Why? Because you're losing? Mavi could hear the smirk in his voice.

No.....Mavi sighed. Because I don't want to anymore.

Just then, Yara walked up to Owen and placed her hand on his arm as she laughed at something Frank was saying. Owen looked down at her hand and then back up at Mavi to make sure she saw.

Mavi narrowed her eyes and frowned.

Radacovick 13, Princess still 9. Owen tried to keep a straight face.

Stop it, Owen.

Owen turned his attention to Yara and smiled down at her. Mavi watched as leaned down to her ear and whispered something, making the girl giggle and smack his arm playfully.

Mavi's heart twisted in an ugly way. When Owen looked back at her, she held his gaze as the frown on her face deepened.

Nate followed Mavi's gaze to where Owen and Yara stood, "They look good together, don't they?"