Chapter 1

Emilia Ellis

Walking down the street of New York City has to be one of the biggest obstacles ever. There are lots of people walking around and too many cars. A driver honked at a pedestrian who ran quickly to the other side, almost getting hit by the car. The driver rolled down his window and started cussing. I have a meeting with a client in a restaurant, twenty minutes from now as I looked at my watch. I had to ditch my car because of the traffic and now I'm walking all the way there by foot. I heard some commotion somewhere in front of me, followed by people who have now gathered around the commotion. I usually never, ever participate when it comes to commotions or when there is crowds, unless it is very mandatory.I heard panic cries and followed by people's panic and whispers. A passerby, just like me asked loudly what was going on and a woman said,

"Someone is choking." She said.

And I stopped walking and I debated whether I should continue with my own business or watch. I know, help will be on the way for that person, but a small part of me. Actually, a big part of me was concerned about the person and it may have to do with my elder brother- David who is a doctor in LA. He practically forced my other brother, Daniel and I to go for CPR and First Aid Training and made sure we are always up to date with our training.

I looked at my watch and at the crowd and looked up at the beautiful blue sky and closed my eyes and took a deep breath and opened my eyes, again.

I apologized as I pushed my way to the front and I see a woman with her hand was on her neck and she was gagging and seemed distressed.

Without thinking, I walked towards her and one of the woman standing close to her asked me to move away.

"Let me help, I'm CPR and first aid trained." I said.

Before they could have responded I asked the woman for her consent, that if I can help her. When I got the green light. I put my arm across the woman's chest and bend her forward and delivered five firm blows between her shoulder blades, but nothing came out from her mouth. I took a deep breath and decided to go for Abdominal thrust. I placed my fist just above her belly button and give her inward and outward thrusts, at the third thrusts, something came out of her mouth and fell on the ground. I paused and moved back a little, giving her enough space. She cough one more time and give all of us a thumbs up and put her hands on her knees.

Everyone clapped and sighed in relief. I looked around the crowd and a guy caught my eyes, he was wearing full black outfits with black baseball cap, sunglasses and mask. It seem like he is staring at me, but I really don't know because of his glasses on.

The paramedic arrived and questioned the woman and then asked me couple of questions. The woman thanked me a numerous times and before I could reply to her. My phone rang, sh*t! I'm late. I excused myself and ran towards the restaurant.

My secretary, Leslie called and asked where I was as the client has arrived and asked about my whereabout.

I reached the restaurant, huffing and puffing. I was ten minutes, late.

"Reservation for Ellis." I said to the server, and he nodded his head and lead me to the private room.

"Sorry, there was a little incident on my way here."

"Oh, we saw some crowds on our way here. Hope everything is okay." One of the man said.

"All good." I smiled at them.

The meeting went smoothly and we were able to get the deal. I shake hands with the people as they were leaving.

"Good job, Ms. Ellis." Leslie said with a grin. Leslie is two year younger to me, her dark hair was in a clean bun, her big brown eyes was shinning under the light "You finally got the deal."