Chapter 40: The Class (Season Finale)

Aktaver's Lair.

3:35 p.m. 33rd Peniel 1091.

Kashi and Kira collapsed in front of an iron door. Their chests rose and fell rapidly as they heaved huge sighs of relief. It had been four days since they entered the dungeon. Their path had been fraught with fire traps, dead ends, monster spiders, giant mushrooms, ghouls, more traps, ridiculous bosses, and much, much more.

The daeben shivered as he recalled all the puzzles he'd been forced to solve in various rooms. Some had taken minutes, others hours. However, he'd had near-death encounters as a reward for failure.

Kashi panted as he rose to his feet and examined what looked to be the final door. A mural carved into the door depicted a beautiful tree, below which representatives of the humes were gathered in loving harmony. The picture was complete, save for the crack on one of the tree's branches.

Kashi's eyes lit up as he retrieved Rosario's Branch from his inventory and fitted it into the crack. A loud grating sound echoed down the pathway as the drawing glowed with a brilliant, ethereal light, causing the daeben to take a step back as he shielded his eyes from the brightness.

The glow dimmed, and Kashi watched in awe as the tree's branches sprung to life and spread around the door. The branch he fixed in suddenly broke off and fell to the floor. Kashi knelt down and picked it up as a set of words appeared in front of him and glowed with a green hue.

Kashi examined the question for a moment and then answered, "How you ask? I am afraid there is no right answer to that question

Kashi examined the question for a moment and then answered, "How you ask? I am afraid there is no right answer to that question. A Warrior without cunning or smarts is but a fool, yet one must be prepared to launch headfirst into battle if need be. Also, true conquest cannot be achieved through steel alone. Words must be shared, alliances forged, and bonds strengthened. Any man without all of these qualities cannot be a true leader. So, if you ask how I face my enemies, I ask you this. Who is my enemy?"

The tree pulsated, and fruits began to fall from its branches to the hands of the humes waiting below. A gentle, warm voice spoke into Kashi's head and announced the verdict.

"Unusual answer. But one filled with wisdom. You may pass."

The branch in Kashi's hand suddenly exploded with a blinding light. By the time Kashi recovered his sight, the branch had transformed into a beautiful wooden longbow. "[Identify]."

"