Ships Will Carry Us Home

Chapter 16 | Ships Will Carry Us Home

After I told Reece my name, he was evidently shocked. But he got over it within seconds, a million watt smile gracing his lips and his blue eyes twinkling with happiness. Just from one look, I could tell he was beyond proud of me. He kissed my forehead, then my nose, and then my lips.

He pulled away to say, "Beautiful name for a beautiful girl."

I couldn't have loved him more than I did.

"Can we wait to tell the others?" I sheepishly asked, "I just want to let this soak in."

"Of course," He agreed, and we danced like it was just us. I felt like I could do and say anything I wanted to. It was a natural high of happiness, and I honestly didn't want it to stop.

The number of people started to dwindle as the minutes kept ticking by, already too tired of celebrating. By one in the morning, the party was half it's size. But we still swayed to the music, despite the upbeat song that was playing.

I lifted my head, "Let's go tell them."

"Whatever you want, Cha-- Park," He said, catching himself.

The way he said my name was refreshing. Reece murmured it in a soft tone, like he was testing new waters. He said it with satisfaction, finally able to put an actual name to the face of his girlfriend. A thousand feelings washed over me. I thought it was an important moment for the both of us. A time where I really sealed our everything.

We walked over to our friends, who were gathered at the couch and just chilling out at this point. I gave them a nervous smile once we got closer.

"Hey, guys," I greeted, "Having fun?"

"Yeah, Chance," Lizzy grinned that crap-eating grin. She then wiggled her eyebrows at her twin and me, "You two seemed really cozy tonight."

"Lizzy," Kate scolded, almost looking bewildered, "Anyways, do you wanna head out now? It's getting pretty late."

"Yeah. But-- um," I twisted the hem of my shirt, "Uh, I have something to tell you guys--"

"Did Reece already get you preg--"

"What?" I exclaimed, "No, no, not at all." Lizzy started cackling while I felt my cheeks growing warmer. Kate was smacking Lizzy upside the head and Luke was stifling a laugh. I glanced at Reece, his head ducked down, his expression hidden from my view.

"This is serious," I was feeling even more anxious now.

The three of them stopped what they were doing, immediately catching my tone. I had told them almost everything except the one little thing that they should've known since the beginning. Their eyes were on me, not easing me up at all. I started to panic and I didn't know why. They were my best friends, even if one of them just made a stupid joke. I shouldn't have to be afraid.

"Are you okay?" I distantly heard.

I was occupied with trying to steady my breathing, looking down to the floor like how Reece was not too long ago. I felt an approaching panic attack, and I needed to extinguish the fire before it got worse. I knew how to deal with it since I had gotten a lot of them after my brother died.

Breathe.

I didn't want to make a big deal out of it, so I nodded my head and said, "Excuse me for a moment."

I quickly let go of Reece's hand, which I had been unknowingly grasping. I made my way to the bathroom, shutting the door behind me. My hands clasped the sides of the sink as I took deep breaths. I didn't understand why it was hard to tell them my name. I didn't understand at all. It just went from zero to one hundred really quickly.