[Act 1] Chapter 19: Arrival at Hindenburg

In the light of the morning sun, hundreds of men on horseback rode upon the emerald grass with the grey and white banner of the Archduchy of Zaurus raised high, even though they weren't in Arthurian territory anymore. They were in German territory now. Ever since crossing the apparent border, the group hadn't rested for more than an hour a day, trying to avoid a misunderstanding with any German patrols they could come across.

Erenn himself was determined to reach a base that at least looks like it is able to defend itself, rather than a simple town that raises a red, white and black flag. They had been following a strange metallic line that goes so far from the border.

"Are you sure this is wise, Archduke?" Knight Gaspard inquired. "Maybe we should have stopped at one of those outposts and tell them."

"When I need information, I will ask it," Erenn groaned. "If I am to make an impression, then I need to show up to one of the German's bases of operations, where their top leaders might be."

"But sir," Knight Fleur said, "How do we know they won't shoot on sight?"

"We don't," Erenn answered, no fear in his voice. "But, if I was to choose between getting shot while attempting to do what is right for my kingdom or get slaughtered fighting an idiot emperor's suicidal war, then I would rather choose to lay down my arms to a more honourable leader. We are the last knights, thus it is our duty to attain some form of chivalry and bravery, so I expect you to keep your bodies straight if we encounter any passing Germans."

When the entire column rode over a hill, Erenn raised his fist up, stopping the march. He quickly took out his telescope and got a good look through it, almost gasping at what he saw.

In the distance, he saw a large-sized camp lying in the centre of a massive plain, shaped like a six-pointed star, baring the black, red and white flag of the Germans, the same ones he saw at Guinevere. But it wasn't the base itself that terrified him, it was what was riding out towards him.

Metal carriages approached with a speed faster than any horse or dragon. As they had during the failure at Guinevere, they bore the black cross on its hull. Unlike they did at Guinevere, they didn't seem to open fire when they got closer and closer. 

When the metal beasts got close, they rode around the entire column, trapping them in a circle of iron. Under Erenn's orders, the knights didn't dare raise a sword at the clearly superior foe, instead choosing to remain on their horses as sweat seemed to drip onto their metal plates. In this situation, aggression is worthless.

Then out of nowhere, men started to come out from these metal carriages in small squads. Some manned metal staffs on top of those carriages. Each pointed their own variation of staffs at the contingent of knights and the rogue archduke, terrifying most of the knights who could only hold onto the hilt of their swords while it was still in its holster. 

Now, Erenn truly understood why they were called the Grey Ones. Everything they wore, rode in, and wielded were clad in grey iron, baring that black cross symbol. For a civilization so superior, one would expect they would add a little more texture to their designs. Perhaps it became unnecessary to them?

After a minute, a man wearing the same grey uniform but with a different style hat and leather coat stepped out of one of the carriages. The way he spoke to the other men in a commanding voice in their own language told the knights that he was the commander, but likely not of significant rank.

"Who are you?" the officer asked, pointing his wand at the Archduke's face. "What business do you have here in these lands? I would recommend you turn this punitive army around before my men are forced to consider you a hostile army."