Merry Christmas

The Christmas lights wrapped around Magnus' neck was a little distracting, Jace observed, especially when paired with a pair of felt reindeer horns and a very scandalous and revealing shiny gold shirt that was incredibly unsuitable for today's weather. Alec, next to him, looked remarkably like Magnus' shadow, in his dark sweater and pants and just slightly shorter build.

Isabelle, unsurprisingly, was in a very short and utterly Isabelle style red dress that shimmered at the bottom and was laced with tiny green and silver bells. Simon was wearing a band t-shirt and a Santa hat, almost unnoticeable behind Isabelle's glittery outfit.

And Clary was beautiful. Someone, presumably Isabelle, had forced some red lipstick on her that matched her sweater, though she kept on wiping in off distastefully when she thought no-one was looking. Jace though this was the most adorable thing in the world.

Countless presents waited below the Christmas tree, about seventy percent of them baby clothes from Jocelyn and Maryse. Jace'd been a little confused as to what to get Clary this year; she appeared to already own every single art supply on earth, but after checking with Simon that she would enjoy the gift he'd gotten her, he was satisfied. He'd also managed to keep it a secret for a whole week. He was very proud of himself.

"It's five in the morning," Alec said. "Why are we all dressed up like we're about to parade Santa around Brooklyn on a floating strip club?"

"What a lovely picture you just gave me," Simon remarked dryly.

"I bet he'll like that," Jace said. "Santa Claus loves strip clubs."

"Because," Magnus said, rolling his eyes at Jace and Simon. "We're getting in the Christmas spirit."

"By wearing weird and inappropriate clothing?" Clary inquired. "Because that's not how most people do it."

"It is how we do it," Isabelle pointed out.

"You mean it's how you and Magnus do it." Jace said.

"Enough," Magnus said. "We're here to be Chrismassy. So let's sing a Christmas Carol! I'll have the solo, of course-"

Everyone groaned.

"What?" Magnus said, frowning. "I'm an amazing singer. You're not suggesting Jace should have it, are you?"

Jace narrowed his eyes at Magnus dangerously.

"Okay," Clary said brightly. "What about we open presents!"

~~~~

Dawn was approaching; Clary could see the golden light that sprayed over the tops of skyscrapers, dusting New York with sprinkles of gold. It was only fitting, seeing as it was Christmas morning.

Clary smiled, leaning her head on Jace's shoulder. "How much longer will we stay here?" 

In truth, she didn't want to leave. Even as morning descended and the sleeping city awoke and stirred up the noise and smoke again. Everything was beautiful from the sky. She felt almost like an Angel, separate and light, but reality kept tugging her back down every time she tried to escape.

"However long you want," Jace said, smiling back down at her. "But I think we should check on Isabelle and Magnus. He could cover her in glitter at any moment."

"You know, I think Magnus would object to your opinion of him as a walking haphazard glitter machine," Clary said, laughing "Though much can be said about his opinion of you as a pie-baking seraph blade with arrogance issues and a mutual disliking of Chairman Meow."

He smiled, but doubt quickly clouded his features, and he looked just behind her, where his eyes laded on an apparent enemy, because he narrowed his eyes, putting a hand on the seraph blade at his waist. "Clary. Clary you have to wake up. Something's happening, and I don't know if- MAGNUS! Stay-"