Chapter 8

KAIRA ROOM

Kartik and Naira were getting ready for the reception party. Kartik was applying gel to his hair, seeing they look perfect and here Naira was struggling to tie the dori of her blouse.

"Kartik", she called him.

"What?", he asked concentrating on his hair.

"Would you call maa or mansi to help me tie this dori? Please.....I can't tie it", Naira requested him.

Kartik sighed in disbelief and walked towards the door.

"Maa....Mansii", he called them. But no reply.

"Anyone?", he called again. Just then Mansi entered.

"Yes bhai", she said appearing in front of him.

"Can you please help your bhabhi to tie the dori of her blouse? She needs help. I'm going out", Kartik informed her starting to walk out but Mansi blocked his way.

"Who married Naira bhabhi?", she asked him with her hands on her hips.

"Me", Kartik replied confused.

"You are her?", Mansi asked him raising her eyebrow.

"Husband", Kartik replied.

"So who should tie the dori of her blouse?", Mansi asked him.

"Me.....no wait what?", Kartik asked her confused.

"Absolutely right bhai...you're way more intelligent than I thought you were. Okay...then enjoy", Mansi waved him bye and walked away.

"Wait...Mansi! Come back here young lady", Kartik shouted for her but she was too far gone.

Kartik sighed in defeat and looked at Naira. She was still struggling with her dori. He walked towards her slowly, lost in his thoughts, feeling as awkward as ever. He rubbed his hands. He reached her finally. Her back was facing him. Naira didn't know it was him. Kartik held the dori and started tying it.

"Thank god Mansi you came....this lehenga is too heavy. I've been stuck with this dori for fifteen minutes. I dunno why do they expect the brides to wear such heavy dresses and jewellery! I mean why only us....the men...they enjoy in their tuxedos...this is so unfair!! Why should only we struggle?!!", Naira started blabbering while Kartik struggled with the dori.

"Your brother is so bossy and rude!! I mean how can't a person be sweet? How can't a person smile? He always has this khadoos expression on his face....but he's a good person. I mean he's nice. I like him. May be....he'll change after", Naira continued to blabber while Kartik raised his eyebrow listening to the "khadoos" word. He didn't mind it and continued tying the dori.

"You know what.....sometimes I feel that I'm not right for him. I mean we both are opposite poles. He likes luxury, I like simplicity. He likes black, I like pink. He talks less, I'm a chatter box. He's focused, I'm a distraction grabber. He likes math, I hate math. I like dogs, he hates dogs. I love street food, he stays far from street food. I mean why did destiny bring us together? But I'm trying my best to come up to his expectations and never disappoint him. But he's never impressed! I'm dying to hear the "thank you" word from him", Naira spoke her feelings out, believing the listener was Mansi but she didn't know it was the man about whom this whole conversation was about. While Kartik listened with full concentration, and felt guilty somewhere deep down for hurting her feelings indirectly. But the feeling was foreign to him because duh.....its Kartik Goenka after all🤷🤷.

Kartik finally tied her dori and moved away.

"Mansi", Naira said and turned back but seeing a male figure behind who happened to be her husband or more precise to say the man about whom she was bitching, she stumbled and fell on Kartik, both of them landing on the floor. Naira above Kartik. Kartik below Naira. It was the first time Kartik had been so close to Naira. It was the first time he had watched her so closely. It was the first time he had got lost into those big dark brown eyes that had the capability to hypnotise any guy who looks into them.