Chapter 4

"I have a few conditions to add," I said as I sat across from Jax in his office the next day. He had his leg over his thigh with a notebook in his lap, sporting a blue suit today.

"Let's hear them," he said gently patiently.

"One: you are required to go to all doctors appointments for company. It's your baby anyway. Two: On top of the other expenses you already mentioned, I get a monthly allowance in the equivalent of a part time job, and a car for transportation. Three: I get a place with at least two bedrooms to keep without rent or mortgage. Four: I get job security afterward the birth, whether it be at your own company or somewhere else. And five: during our cooperation, neither of us are allowed to interfere in personal life of the other," I rattled off my list. Jax finished writing before he smirked.

"I have some important points of my own. You have to move into my home during the pregnancy, and I can give you a car, but not until the birth of the child. Your moves will be monitored, as in where you go. But you understand this is a sensitive subject. With the car as well, that's something I can give you, but it'll be after you give birth," he said. I would live with him?

"Wouldn't the nondisclosure agreement take care of the privacy of this situation?" I asked. He nodded before setting his notebook on the coffee table.

"Yes, but I also have to monitor the health of you and the baby. Pregnancies can be very sensitive. I can't risk you getting hurt and losing the baby... or changing your mind and running to get an abortion," he explained. In a way, it made sense. He was being careful, but I didn't want to live with him.

"I have to live with you?" I asked again just to be sure. He nodded. I could see he wasn't willing to negotiate on that point. I sighed and leaned back on the couch I was sitting on.

"Fine," I finally agreed. "But Asher is my best friend, and he already knows what's going on, so I'm asking if he's allowed to know what's going on. He's your employee, and I'll need at least one person to talk to," I bargained. Jax thought for a moment before he sighed.

"I'll allow it," he agreed. Asher would probably be happy to have me out of his house, but mad at where I was going instead. Jax put his laptop on his lap and typed for a while before setting his laptop down and walking to a printer in a corner of his office. He sat back down with the contracts and handed a copy to me. I read it over and checked that everything we talked about was included. Minus the house, car, and after birth cosmetic surgery, I was getting seven million dollars. I tried to control my expression as I cleared my throat and finished reading the contract. Of course, the end result would be handing over the baby and having nothing to do with Jax anymore. If you asked me, the sooner the better. I signed my copy before switching contracts with Jax and signing the other copy. He stood and held his hand out to me.

"I'll give you the day to pack your things. Call me when you're ready to be picked up," he said as I stood and shook his hand as well.

"It shouldn't take me long. I don't have much stuff," I said before I left his office with my contract. Asher was waiting for me on the other side of the door.

"So, what's going on?" He asked anxiously. I sighed as I put the contact at my side.

"I'll have to tell you later. I can't talk here. I have to go pack. I'll see you when you get home," I said hesitantly. I left before he could have a chance to ask anything else. I left the building and took a cab back to the apartment. I sighed and looked around the apartment before I started. I pulled out my luggage and folded my clothes up first. I found my edits kind of pointless halfway through when I realized I would get too big to wear them soon. How did I get myself into this mess? By the time I finished packing all my things, Asher was finally getting home for work. He barged into my room with a worried look on his face.

"Why are you packing? What's going on with my boss?" He asked anxiously. I sighed and set my luggage by the door before taking a seat on my bed.

"I agreed to have the baby. Just think of me as a surrogate. I have to go live with him so he can be sure everything is okay. You're the only person who is allowed to know about this," I explained. Asher scoffed before he sat next to me.

"So what? You're going into hiding until you give birth?" He asked.

"Essentially, yes. But I'm being paid over seven million dollars to do it, and I'm secured a job at the end of this," I tried to reason with him. I knew he wouldn't like the idea, but what else could I do?

"Minnie, you get attached to things easily. What happens if by the end of this, you don't want to give him the baby?" Asher asked. He wasn't wrong. I did get attached easily, but I had already signed the contract.

"Don't worry. I know the deal going onto this so I just won't get attached," I replied. Asher sighed and put his head in his hands.

"Will I at least get to see you?" He asked. I sighed as I leaned back on my hands.

"Probably not as often as we'd like," I admitted honestly. Going by Jax's rules, I was meant to stay in the house. We were both quiet for a moment as the realization hit us both.

"I'm going to miss you. Call me whenever you want me to break you out of there," he joked sadly. I could tell he was trying to lighten the mood for my sake, but he himself was unhappy with the situation. I leaned over and hugged him gently.

"I'll try to keep you updated," I promised. After a moment, I let go of him before going to grab my phone.

"I've have to call Jax," I said to Asher as I motioned to my phone. He nodded before leaving my room. I took one last deep breath before I dialed the number.