when i say shotgun, you say

Lee's life had returned to an awkward mix of normal and weird.

Working as an Auror became routine, just like training had. She came home just after Percy, who would be working on dinner.

They would eat and talk. Then they would go to the lounge to do whatever they felt like that night. Sometimes they both read. Sometimes they watched a film, as their apartment was far enough away from magical communities that electronics worked without exploding. Sometimes their activity was a bit more, intimate.

Lee had gotten used to the routine.

But then the weirdness of being pregnant was added to the mix.

Sometimes she forgot.

It's not like it was obvious. There wasn't a bump, and she didn't suddenly feel overly maternal. If anything she was scared. Lee had never been around a baby in her life. At least Percy had the experience of younger siblings.

Percy didn't seem scared. If anything he was excited. He had shown her listing of houses that they could live in. He had bought books on parenting, and read them all.

But Lee didn't feel the same.

She felt a little guilty for not sharing the excitement. It was her first child after all. Shouldn't she be ecstatic?

If she was being honest, and she would never admit this out loud, Lee couldn't see herself as a mother.

It was just so foreign.

And she didn't have the best mother for a role model. Sure there was Mrs. Weasley, but Lee wasn't the homely type.

A small part of her feared that she would resent the kid. It wasn't exactly her ideal situation. To have a child at 20, with an impending war on the horizon, and no contact with family.

Lee wanted to tell Mrs. Weasley. Tell her and ask her for advice. Tell her and receive comfort and get little booties at Christmas, knitted by the woman herself.

Lee wanted the woman, who had become a mother to her, to be there.

But of course, there was the fiasco about the Minister.

Lee wished they knew how much they needed this. Lee and Percy wouldn't have been able to survive without his job. With their combined income, they could get a house and support their family.

But the Weasleys didn't care about that. They were much more concerned with the Minister's corrupt politics.

They had seen Percy leaving as him abandoning his family. It made Lee angry. They had so see sense soon.

_______

The first time it happened, Lee didn't know what to do. She barely even knew what was happening.

Lee had been sitting at her desk at work, her long shift nearing its close, when she felt the baby move for the first time.

She had stopped everything immediately. A few drops of ink from her quill fell as her body was frozen.

Then she felt it again.

Lee snapped out of her frozen state and put down the quill. She took her hand and placed it on her stomach.

She was now 18 weeks in, and it was getting a little noticeable. Lee wouldn't be able to hide it from the Order much longer without concealment charms. Concealment charms that she wasn't allowed to use because it was 'bad for the baby'. Baggy clothes could only do so much.

The sudden movement stirred something within her. It was kind of like proof.

Before it had all seemed like an elaborate hoax. Now it was real.